About the role
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With over 10+ years of aggregate e-commerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide. Our 1,000,000+ merchants depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business. The next phase of our data strategy will involve extreme growth in terms of scale and application, with the goal of making better business and product decisions.
One incredibly important area of Shopify is our Support team. Support is Shopify’s point of contact for our merchants, partners and buyers, and is here to help our merchants on their entrepreneurial journey. This is a responsibility we take incredibly seriously as we strive to help our merchants run their business as successfully as possible.
The purpose of the Senior Business Intelligence Manager is to enable value creation in Shopify’s Support organization by leading reporting, data analysis and data driven projects focused on optimizing and improving BI and Analytics capabilities for the group. They are responsible for leading a team of data analysts, visualization specialists, and business systems analysts to define the BI strategy, implement analytical solutions, define and curate KPI metrics, produce and operationalize a set of trusted dashboards and insights used for data-informed business decisions. They will serve as one of the trusted data advisors to the Support leadership team.
- Adopt a product-based approach to data analytics by driving rigour, agility, and design-thinking to data as a product in order to improve usability and consumability
- Own, execute, and maintain the operational reporting strategy and ensure our operational dashboards tell a clear data story to support business decision making
- Steward and improve trustability of data used in Support by partnering with the data governance team to improve data quality and reusability
- Partner closely with data infrastructure and data engineering teams to strengthen our data pipeline and safeguard this pipeline on behalf of the other analytics teams in Support
- Lead the entire dev-ops lifecycle, including design, architect, build, test and, put into production dashboards that will inform the operational effectiveness of our 3000+ front-line advisors
- Lead or participate in multiple projects related to business critical initiatives where data is a key component to inform or measure successful value outcome
- Continue to drive innovation in the data and analytics space relative to the business division to advance our usage of data as a differentiator
- Provide growth and mentorship to their team and ensure they are set up for success
- Contribute to the establishment and strengthening of a community of data analytics talent across Support, Data, Technology, and Shopify
Requirements for the role:
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team and work collaboratively across a complex cross-functional environment, as well as independently with initiative taking ownership
- 10+ years of experience in Business Intelligence or Data
- 5+ years of leadership experience, particularly within a matrixed analyst organizational structure
- Experience owning strategic metrics reporting
- Expert understanding of Business Intelligence technology tools and data stacks such as: Tableau, Looker, Mode, Python, Java, SQL, GCP, BigQuery
- Ability to traverse complex operational systems, be inquisitive and gain understanding of data
- Ability to bridge understanding of technical infrastructure with business process
- Experience in data warehousing (Kimball, Inmon)
- Strong communicator, be able to tell a story with data. Ability to adjust your communication based on audience understanding of data
- Challenge the status quo - someone who asks why things are done a certain way and makes themselves part of the solution
- Love building. Taking an idea from inception to execution. Identifying and improving on roadblocks and points of failure and iterating on the success and value in the process
- Problem solve like nobody's business - projects by nature present lots of problems, some big and some small. We need someone who can identify them and solve without disrupting forward momentum
- Bachelor’s or Master's Degree in Math, Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering or a related field is preferred but not required
- Experience working in a customer service or sales operations environment would be an asset
If you're interested, please include a cover letter addressed to your favourite fictional character and let us know why this is the role for you. In the cover letter, tell us a bit about why you’re interested in working for Shopify, what attracted you to this role, and why you’d be the best person for the role!
Closing date: Friday, December 11 @ 5pm EST
We aim to get back to all applicants within 2 weeks of the closing date.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.