About the role
If you're looking to apply for a Data Scientist position OUTSIDE of Finance, please apply here
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world start and grow their business. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform with over 1 million merchants in more than 175 different countries, with solutions from point-of-sale and online commerce to financial, shipping logistics and marketing.
Data is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organization. From pipelines and schema design to machine learning products and decision support, data science at Shopify is a diverse role with many opportunities to positively impact our success.
Our data scientists focus on pushing products and the business forward, with a focus on solving important problems rather than specific tools.
Successful candidates will have experience with:
- Building data models and conducts analysis to provide recommendations on investment and improve margins.
- Conducting research with internal and external data with statistics/causal inference techniques to provide recommendations on strategic decisions or understand impact from macro events.
- Generating time-series forecasts for financial planning and anomaly detection.
- Enforcing the service level agreement on critical data set and dashboards used across Finance for the purposes of analysis, disclosures and audits.
- Proactively identify and champion projects that solve complex problems across multiple domains
- Partner closely with product business leaders to influence business decisions with data
- Apply specialized skills and fundamental data science methods (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed) to inform improvements to our business
- Design and implement end-to-end data pipelines: work closely with stakeholders to build instrumentation and define dimensional models, tables or schemas that support business processes
- Build actionable KPIs, production-quality dashboards, informative deep dives, and scalable data products
- Influence leadership to drive more data-informed decisions
- Define and advance best practices within data science and product teams
You'll need to have:
- Extensive experience with Python and SQL
- Experience with applied statistics and quantitative modeling (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed) with both time-series and panel data
- Demonstrated ability to translate analytical insights into clear recommendations and effectively communicate them to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Curiosity about the problem domain and an analytical approach
- Strong sense of ownership and growth mindset
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
Closing Date: October 7th, 2020
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.