We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and Tumblr! We’re looking for a Senior Research Engineer to join our Tumblr team.
How we work
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Enough about us, let‘s talk more about you. As a Senior Research Engineer you will:
- Apply data mining and machine learning techniques to develop personalization, recommendation, and content discovery.
- Define metrics and conduct A/B testing.
- Oversee statistical measurement of algorithms and approaches.
- Design and develop effective models, features, and algorithms.
- Generate production data.
- Partner with many other teams such as product, engineering. teams to provide deep insights about business and product.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors degree (CompSci / Electrical Engineering / or related) and 3 years relevant experience.
- You have experience with: recommender systems, search, data mining, machine learning, natural language processing or artificial intelligence.
- You have data analytics skills with Hive, Scalding, or Spark.
- You enjoy programming & debugging in Scala, Java, PHP or Python & Hadoop, Hive, MapReduce, or Flink.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- You’re able to communicate clearly with and about data to technical and non-technical partners.
- You’re highly collaborative and experienced in working with business owners, executives, developers, and creatives to discuss data, strategy, and tests.
- You’re based, and authorized to work, in the US.
Curious about who we are and what we work on? Read our blog!
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Please answer the following questions in a cover letter, as part of your application submission. Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- Tell us about a recommender system you highly rate and admire. Why do you hold it in esteem? What is exciting about it and how does it compete against other systems?
- Tell us about the hardest programming problem you’ve had to solve for in Scala, Java, PHP or any of the related programming languages required for this role.
- How do you communicate
- Can you tell us about a time you had a machine learning project, or complex data project came under business scrutiny. How did you overcome this?
- What questions do you have for us?
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.