The Data Analytics Engineer supports data workflows throughout the entire data lifecycle, with the end goal of ensuring that stakeholders internal and external to EDUCAUSE have access to reliable, timely, accurate, and consistent data. This role is responsible for ELT (extract, load, transform) data pipelines, data transformation using SQL and dbt, and analysis/reporting using SQL, QlikSense, and SSRS. While this list represents our current technologies, this role will also recommend and implement new technologies and/or workflows in support of EDUCAUSE’s needs.
- Design, develop, enhance, and maintain “fact” and “dimension” SQL views to support reporting requirements
- Modify existing data lake SQL views to ensure consistency and maintainability in field naming and SQL construction
- Optimize performance of views, stored procedures, and other operations
- Investigate and propose solutions for data quality issues that arise from source systems, data pipelines, or transformation logic within the data lake
- Implement and maintain dbt (SQL as code framework) to mature data development processes, develop a data dictionary, and improve query performance
- Develop data lineage diagramming and data dictionary entries in collaboration with business stakeholders
Reporting & Analysis
- Respond to data support tickets within 24 hours
- Pull data for ad-hoc reports using SQL
- Import flat files into SQL Server and join with existing data to produce lists and data files for stakeholder use, such as imports into other systems, survey analysis, email marketing lists, data quality efforts, etc.
- Create, maintain, and modify data models and dashboards using Qlik Sense
- Create, maintain, and modify reports using SQL Server Reporting Services
Data Engineering & Monitoring
- Monitor and maintain existing data pipelines into the data lake, which includes troubleshooting failed jobs, monitoring disk space usage and performance, and updating pipelines to meet new business requirements
- Create proof of concepts for data pipelines that rely on REST APIs by using Postman to construct sample API calls and validate authentication. Document API-based data pipeline requirements for third-party partner to implement.
- Use SQL and a command line interface to bulk import data into NetForum for data quality efforts
- Follow established documentation to import flat files into the data lake
- Monitor resources on Qlik Sense servers and investigate/troubleshoot performance issues as they arise
- Create and maintain documentation on data pipelines
- Monitor Qlik token usage and deallocate unused tokens monthly
- Develop new data pipelines for file transfer jobs using SSIS
- Coordinate with infrastructure team to set up new data pipelines using Fivetran
- Support new data pipelines and sources as needed
- Develop data integrations and/or messaging workflows using cloud-native orchestration and data integration tools
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
EDUCAUSE recognizes that the unique backgrounds, talents, skills, and contributions of every individual improve and enhance the quality of the organization. Creating an environment of inclusion is each employee’s responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Treat everyone with dignity, respect, and fairness
- Share insights and input as work contributor
- Listen to and acknowledge others’ contributions
- Contribute to an open and inclusive environment across demographic categories and physical locations
- Know and understand your social style and seek to improve your versatility by understanding the strengths, perspectives, work styles, and motivations of co-workers
- Meet others at their point of need and help support organizational achievement
- 3+ years of experience developing and maintaining tables, views, and stored procedures in relational databases
- Expert-level knowledge of SQL
- Data modeling experience, specifically with star schemas and fact/dimension tables
- Experience debugging data pipelines
- Experience querying relational databases for reporting & analysis
- Experience developing data models and dashboards using data visualization software such as Tableau, PowerBI, QlikSense, Looker, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and technical skills quickly
- Bachelors’ degree in data science, database engineering, or related field
- Demonstrated ability to translate business requirements into technical requirements
- Experience developing fault-tolerant and reliable data pipelines
- Experience with dbt
- Experience using REST APIs to pull data for data analysis
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with both technical and non-technical partners, across all levels of the organization
The position is performed remotely from a home office; technical connectivity requirements must be met to ensure effective telework.
The anticipated salary range for this position is $91,000 - $102,000 earned annually. The pay range provided is EDUCAUSE’s reasonable estimate of the base compensation for this position. The actual salary will be based on non-discriminatory factors such as depth and extent of relevant experience, education, training/certifications for preferred skills, and abilities. We ask for minimum salary requirements in our application to ensure we can meet candidate salary expectations; we do not base salaries on a candidate’s current compensation.
EDUCAUSE’s compensation package also includes medical and dental insurance, employer-paid life and disability insurance, three weeks paid vacation annually to start plus six days of personal time, paid holidays, professional development opportunities, and a retirement plan with generous employer matching.
EDUCAUSE is a higher education technology association and the largest community of IT leaders and professionals committed to advancing higher education. We support those who lead, manage, deploy, and use information technology, helping them to anticipate and adapt to change, and advancing strategic IT decision making at every level within higher education. We bring together technology professionals and leaders across campus and the industry to solve today’s challenges.
EDUCAUSE is committed to “uncommon thinking for the common good.” Being part of EDUCAUSE means being part of a community that accomplishes more together than they ever could on their own.
Get to Know EDUCAUSE
- this video was filmed in 2018 at our former office in Louisville, Colorado before we became a 100% virtual organization.
EDUCAUSE recognizes that the diverse backgrounds, talents, skills, and contributions of every individual improve and enhance the quality of the organization. Therefore, we are committed to building a culture that attracts and sustains a diverse mix of people who are passionate about the work they do. We work to recruit, develop, and retain talented staff from a broad and diverse candidate pool.
EDUCAUSE requires a background check for all potential employees.
An Equal Opportunity Employer:
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.