Data Engineer (Remote)
San Francisco, CA
Job Overview and Requirements
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to help manage, utilize, and build upon ReUp’s data infrastructure. This role will be a key member of the team creating and delivering against a data engineering strategy that will support ReUp’s tech-enabled service as we continue to grow. If you are a curious engineer strong in Python, SQL, AWS, and business acumen, then we want to hear from you!
As a Data Engineer, you’ll maintain critical data architecture, process large volumes of student data, and work collaboratively to create useful reports, dashboards, and data products that support internal teams and university partners. Data is at the heart of everything we do, so we’re always looking to improve these systems to better address a variety of open-ended questions related to student success. Along the way, you’ll help improve inefficiencies, ensure we follow best practices around data, and work on interesting data science projects in areas like predictive analytics and natural language processing. Through this critical role in our data operations, you will better equip us to support our students all the way to graduation.
What we do
Founded in 2015, ReUp Education is the only organization that focuses exclusively on helping colleges and universities engage and re-enroll the more than 40% of US students who have “stopped out” and support them until graduation, through our technology-enabled service. To date, we have re-enrolled over 15,000 students and recaptured over $44 million in tuition for our university partners.
What you’ll do
- Develop, construct, test and maintain data architectures and pipelines
- Leverage (and expand) Python codebase to launch university partnerships, ingest student lists, process partner data, and perform validation
- Collaborate with data analysts to create business intelligence assets (analytics reports, dashboards, KPIs, research etc.)
- Partner with stakeholders (marketing, product, coaching, partner success, finance, etc.) to optimize our systems and develop novel solutions
- Contribute to our data strategy to ensure it is aligned with company goals
- Manage (and expand) daily monitoring automation for key systems/processes
- Manage and setup new ETLs, automated jobs, and workflows
- Troubleshoot and resolve issue escalations pertaining to data infrastructure
- Protect end users from risk of faulty or inaccurate data
- Identify ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality
- Collaborate with data scientists to prepare data for machine learning applications (predictive analytics, natural language processing, etc.)
- Support data security, compliance, and governance initiatives
(Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups only apply to jobs if they meet all of the qualifications. However, no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. ReUp encourages you to break that statistic and to apply. We look forward to your application.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Data Science, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Business, or other quantitative focused field of study
- 3+ years of related work experience in data engineering
- Strong Python and SQL skills
- Experience building within Amazon Web Services (certification a plus)
- Salesforce CRM experience a plus
- Tableau / Mode Analytics / BI experience a plus
- Higher ed, ed tech, and/or startup experience a plus
- You believe in ReUp’s mission and are committed to helping us create new opportunities for millions of stopout students
- You are a first-principle thinker and creative problem solver
- Your attention to detail leaves no stone unturned
- You are able to communicate complex ideas effectively
- You proactively look for ways to automate and optimize tasks
- You enjoy learning in a fast-paced environment
- You are collaborative and open to feedback
- You have a passion to support data driven decisions while recognizing the humans behind the numbers
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary (commensurate with experience and location)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees; we pay 100% of the employee's premium and 50% of any dependents' premiums
- Flexible time off and remote work opportunity
- 401(k) plan
- A diverse team that fosters a high level of collaboration despite being highly distributed
- We provide your choice of a Mac or PC laptop
ReUp is a distributed company. This role is 100% remote.
TEAMWORK * RESULTS * CONSTANT LEARNING * AGENCY * DIVERSITY, INCLUSION & EQUITY * JOY
ReUp employees share a passion for improving outcomes for stopout students. We support students to get Results as they embark on finishing what they started. We believe in the power of human potential and that supporting an individual’s Agency acts as a catalyst for positive change and resiliency. We support Diversity, Inclusion & Equity, for both the students we work with and in our hiring practices. We value Teamwork and strive to create a safe and supportive environment where trust, communication, creativity, and humility are valued as highly as technical skills. We tackle hard problems with curiosity and take action towards continuous improvement and Constant Learning. Approaching our work with open hearts, open minds, and seeking collective success creates Joy. If that sounds like your dream work environment, we look forward to hearing from you.
ReUp Education is an equal opportunity employer. Our company values diversity and believes diverse teams make innovation possible. We encourage all qualified applicants from any race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or other characteristics to apply.