TalkingPoints is an award-winning education technology non-profit organization with the mission to unlock the potential of low-income, underserved families to support their children’s learning by partnering with their children’s schools. We are building a one-of-a-kind product in the market, a multilingual family engagement platform that connects families and teachers using human and artificial intelligence powered, two-way translated messages and personalized supports — eliminating language, time limitations, and know-how as barriers to school/family connection.
Millions of teachers and families are using TalkingPoints in their classrooms, schools and districts across the United States. TalkingPoints works with key school district partners such as Oakland Unified, Seattle Public Schools, Boston Public Schools, Buffalo Public School, Wake County and NYC DOE. We have won awards from NYU, MIT, Google, Forbes and are backed by Google, Eric Schmidt, AT&T, Cisco, and Stanford University to name a few.
TalkingPoints is at a critical inflection point in the organization's growth. We continue to see exponential growth in both our user base and our own internal structure. It's an important time to join our team and build on our momentum and ability to support students and families during this critical time in which education equity gaps are more concerning than ever. Learn more.
Diversity: we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it!
As our Data Engineer, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining automated ETL/ ELT data pipelines for migrating data to and from our centralized data warehouse. The Data Engineer will utilize database tools/technologies including AWS, Snowflake, and dbt, and will collaborate with non-technical stakeholders to understand data needs and build interactive dashboards to support self-service access patterns and decentralized ownership of data assets.
The ideal candidate is passionate about improving equity in education for under-resourced students through AI-based, data-informed solutions. The Data Engineer will report to the Head of Data, Analytics, and Research and will collaborate with a cross-functional team of skilled data engineers and researchers.
Technical Implementation and Stakeholder Engagement
- Develop and maintain automated CI/CD data pipelines for migrating, storing, and transforming data across the life cycle from ingestion to consumption
- Optimize existing data pipelines to improve speed and scalability
- Develop and maintain unit, integration, and regression tests for ensuring the reliability and accuracy of data transformations
- Work with stakeholders to gather requirements and co-develop analytics dashboards for self-service access
- Debug and develop fixes for data integrity issues
- Collaborate with data engineers and researchers to develop machine learning solutions for improving product implementation fidelity, informing new product development, and evaluating product efficacy
- Stay up to date with industry developments and recommend new technologies and approaches to improve data infrastructure and processes
Who you are
- 3+ years of experience in a data-focused, technical role
- Successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets
- Experience developing cloud-based data solutions using AWS and/or GCP services
- Experience using cloud-based data services such as Snowflake and/or Databricks
- Experience implementing event-driven data solutions using streaming technologies such as Kinesis and/or Kafka
- Experience implementing CI/CD processes for improving the reliability and speed of ETL/ELT pipeline development
- Advanced SQL knowledge and expertise in query optimization
- Knowledge of data modeling and data warehousing concepts
- Strong ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
Nice to haves:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field
- Domain knowledge in education and current educational technology trends
- Experience with SIS integrations using tools such as Clever, Classlink, and/or PowerSchool
- Experience designing REST API methods
- Experience working with non-relational databases such as MongoDB
- Experience supporting machine learning and/or research applications
- Experience in ETL tools/technologies such as dbt
Overall fit with our org culture - we look for team members who are
- User and mission-oriented: we are devoted to our mission with empathy towards the communities we serve.
- All-in together: we go above and beyond the job description, working together as a team.
- Agile & action-oriented: we get things done, knowing that our progress is urgent to our communities.
- Always Learning: we are always learning, with a growth mindset, to reach our full potential.
- Boldly Courageous: we take risks in order to achieve big things.
- Resourceful: We are creative, solution-oriented, and scrappy.
What we offer
- An incredible opportunity to build a mission-driven, rapidly growing startup tech nonprofit
- Competitive salary, full coverage health insurance, benefits, and unlimited time off
- 401K match
- Annual professional development benefit
- Flexibility to work remotely
- Fun, smart, dynamic, and motivated team
How to apply
Please submit your resume, a brief paragraph describing your interest, and a link to your LinkedIn profile