The Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s (ATC) mission is to protect, manage, and advocate for the Appalachian National Scenic Trail (ANST).
The Appalachian National Scenic Trail (A.T.) is a Congressionally designated footpath and surrounding narrow corridor, protected by the National Trails System Act of 1968. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is the day-to-day manager of the Trail, working in close coordination with 31 Maintaining Clubs, two federal agencies, and 14 state governments. An estimated three million people per year step foot on some part of the A.T. and the Trail itself is within a day’s drive of half of the United States’ population. Persistent pressures from human development, climate change, and visitor use require constant engagement within the federal policy arena. Today public access and trail continuity are secure, but many of the pristine viewsheds, watersheds, and areas of natural and cultural significance comprising the A.T. Landscape remain unprotected and vulnerable to external threats.
The data manager builds and maintains the full scope of the Visitor Use Management (VUM) data management pipeline, from collection, to storage, to analysis. Since many parts of the data management pipeline need to be built out, this is an exciting opportunity for someone to own the full scope of the data management process. You’ll get to make important decisions on how we modernize our data-related technologies and see those decisions through from ideation to application.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The VUM Data Manager will have significant input in data-related decisions, such as:
- Determining what type of data is needed to answer our most important questions
- The best tools for collecting and storing that data
- Analyzing and presenting this data in a way that informs organizational decisions
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Strategizing and implementing data collection methods
- Building and managing a database to easily store and access data
- Aggregating data from disparate sources
- Generating analytical reports and dashboards to monitor various metrics
- Conducting research on software tools and making recommendations/decisions as to what best suits the team’s needs, with the input and approval of a data governance committee.
- Other duties, as assigned
- 3 years of experience in data management and/or analytics
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency with SQL and relational databases, particularly in terms of storage and structure
- Experience with visualization tools (i.e. Tableau or Looker) or report writing tools (i.e. Cognos Analytics or Power BI)
- Demonstrated ability to work through problems independently and utilize outside resources; this position demands singular ownership of data related projects and will require the applicant to lead collaborative decisions on data related tasks and tooling
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead a project from end to end, interfacing with multiple stakeholders within the organization to determine optimal data outcomes.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Familiarity with Salesforce
- Experience with scripting language/library used for analysis and visualization, such as R (dplyr, ggplot) or Python (Pandas, matplotlib, seaborn, etc.)
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Primarily works in a home office environment operating a computer in a stationary position for extended periods
- Frequently communicates with staff, partners, and others by phone, email, virtual meeting, and in person
- $55,000 – $60,000 annually
- Paid Time Off – Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Federal Holidays
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Long-Term Disability, and Life Insurance
- 403b with employer match after 1 year of service
To Apply: Click here to apply through ADP
Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to ADP. Please state how you heard about this job in your cover letter.
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive organization and recognize that diversity contributes to an effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the locations where we operate.