Data Science Manager
SF, NY, Toronto, Portland, or remote in US/Canada
In the 1840s, Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace worked on an early version of the computer known as the “Analytics Engine”. In the words of computing historian Doron Swade, “What Lovelace saw...was that numbers could represent entities other than quantity” and together they laid the foundation for general-purpose computing.
We’re looking for a Data Science Manager who can help us build, support, and develop the team building our analytics engine.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for a team of 5-7 data scientists embedded across product teams, and will critically influence how we invest in and build Mercury’s future. You’ll be early in building a data-informed culture across Mercury so that stakeholders across the company can determine what’s happening, react quickly, and invest intelligently.
Here are some things you’ll do on the job:
- Build, manage, and develop a team of 5-7 data scientists to help Mercury make better business banking* and product decisions informed by data.
- Influence analytics culture and rigor across our Core Products (dashboard, cards, etc) by working with different levels, from executives to individual product and operations teams, ranging from deriving insights of our core products to advanced statistical methods for risk and credit underwriting.
- Have 4+ years of experience in a quantitative role, including 1+ years managing a team of quantitative experts (e.g. data scientists, product analysts, machine learning engineers, or financial mathematicians).
- Be able to partner with business leaders and GMs to ensure that they and their teams have the tools, reporting, and support to consistently make the best data-informed decisions. Proactively provide advanced analytics and insights to leaders that stakeholders may not be seeing.
- Be opinionated on the ways to most effectively use data to make business and product decisions.
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience with data science, machine learning, statistics, financial calculations, or experimentation for commercial applications.
*Mercury is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust®; Members FDIC.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and all employees receive salary + equity + benefits. Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company.
The ranges shared are for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced or more senior than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
The salary range for candidates in the US is $205,000–$250,000.
The salary range for candidates in Canada is CAD 182,000–228,000.