The Instagram Graph team focuses on helping users connect with their close friends and interests on Instagram. Connecting users to one another is a foundational to building a healthy and thriving social network. So, the work that the Graph team does is core to helping Instagram deliver on its mission of helping users grow closer to the people and things they love. The team’s flagship product is called Suggested Users which is a list of account recommendations we serve to each user, powered by complex, state-of-the-art Machine Learning models. Given Instagram’s diverse user base, different users have different ways in which they use Instagram, which would influence the type of connections they want to make. For example, some users use Instagram primarily to connect with their closest friends, while some others might want to use Instagram to explore their niche interests and passions. Understanding how different types of users want to use Instagram and the kind of graphs they want to build, can help us serve them with highly personalized recommendations tailored to their needs. We also want to help our users keep their Instagram graphs fresh and current as their real-life friendships and interests change over time. As the Data Science Manager on Instagram Graph, you will lead a team of 2 data scientists and work on deeply understanding how different types of users use Instagram, what kind of connections will they find most valuable, and use these insights to refine our account recommendation algorithms. If you are passionate about working with large-scale recommendation systems and how we could use them to build and maintain healthy social graphs, this is a great role for you!
- Identify high-impact analytical problems and find innovative ways to tackle these problems via data analysis, experimentation, and statistical modeling
- Size opportunities to ensure product teams are prioritizing the most impactful work
- Ensure product strategy has actionable measurement plans by owning goal metrics and evaluating product team performance
- Establish strong trusted relationships with the data science and product communities of Instagram and Facebook
- Lead cross-functional and cross-team relationship building and collaboration with product, user research and engineering team
- 6+ years of experience with quantitative analysis
- 3+ years of experience with people management
- 5+ years of experience in an analytical role in a technology company, consulting, investment banking, or product management
- 5+ years experience with SQL or other programming languages
- Experience initiating and driving projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Experience communicating the results of analysis
- Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline (e.g., statistics, mathematics, economics)
- Understanding of statistical analysis, experience with packages, such as python, R, MATLAB, SPSS, SAS, Stata, etc.
- Experience with complex measurement methodologies and evaluating ML models from algorithmic bias perspective
- Experience working in a highly ambiguous field with evolving definitions and boundaries