Director of Analytics (Full-time, Remote)
UpTogether is a national organization of individuals across the country with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities who share a passion for social justice and racial equity. Our mission is to recognize, highlight and invest in the ingenuity and entrepreneurship of people in undervalued communities and partner with government and philanthropy to do the same.
After working with thousands of families since our founding in 2001, at UpTogether, we are certain people don’t live in poverty because they are lazy, uneducated, or mismanage money, as stereotypes would indicate. Instead, the poverty cycle, which disproportionately impacts Black and Latinx communities, can be traced to well-intentioned but inadequate governmental and charitable policies and practices that rely on a traditional top-down approach.
Our pillars include:
- Community: We center our work around the strengths and initiatives of people living in undervalued communities and promote the role social networks within these communities play in helping people accomplish their goals and achieve long-term socioeconomic mobility.
- Capital: We invest in our members with unrestricted cash in recognition of the initiatives they are taking to improve their lives.
- Choice: We trust that people in undervalued communities know what’s best and are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.
UpTogether reveals and accelerates the initiative people are taking to improve their lives. As a community, a movement, and a platform, we use the power of information—compelling insights and personal success stories—to transform stereotypes, beliefs, practices, and policies. Together with our members, we are championing a community-led movement to boost economic and social mobility in communities that have been undervalued and underinvested in for far too long.
At UpTogether, we work towards these values:
- Community: We honor the strengths and initiatives of people living in undervalued communities and promote the role social networks within these communities play in helping people accomplish their goals and achieve long-term socioeconomic mobility.
- Impact: We test and scale strategies for systems adoption of a strength-based approach to accelerate socioeconomic mobility for people living at or below the poverty line in the U.S.
- Collaboration: We center the lived experiences of families in undervalued communities and engage the knowledge, experience, and perspectives of our board, partners, and staff to build and grow a strength-based approach to end poverty.
- Racial Equity: We are committed to being an anti-racist organization, and we promote anti-racist policies that eliminate the racial wealth divide.
- Leadership: We acknowledge that leadership is not based on a title and honor the many forms in which it appears. We celebrate leadership that embodies all of our organizational values, driving us to act against the dominating deficit-based approach to fighting poverty.
- Choice: We trust that people living at or below the poverty line know what’s best and are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.
UpTogether is seeking a full-time Director of Analytics. The Director of Analytics is responsible for overseeing UpTogether’s analytics team, infrastructure, and deriving actionable insights to advance the organization’s vision. The ideal candidate will have a skillset (and mindset!) to dive deep into the meaning behind the data to surface insights and information that UpTogether staff can use to drive impact.
UpTogether’s databases are multidimensional and highly normalized. The Director of Analytics will be responsible for maintaining our data pipeline, regularly authoring new data transformations and third-party integrations (such as ingesting Census data to augment our dataset) to derive new insights. The Director will also oversee the development of internal business intelligence tools authored in R/Shiny and deployed to an internal RStudio Connect server.
The Director of Analytics will manage a team of two data analysts and will work collaboratively with all departments in the organization, including Engineering, Finance, Membership and Communication, and Partnership and Revenue. This position reports directly to the Chief Technology Officer.
This is a 100% remote position (must be based in the United States), so the successful candidate will be located where a solid internet connection is available, and perform duties in a functional work environment.
- Maintain the data pipeline ensuring data is in an analysis-ready format
- Produce insightful reports about the impacts of UpTogether’s approach
- Design and build R Shiny apps and dashboards to present our data to internal and external audiences
- Set the overall vision and direction for the Analytics team
- Ensure the Analytics team is writing high quality, maintainable code
- Build and maintain internal R and/or Python packages for analysis
Qualifications, Attributes & Skills
- Solid background in statistics, experience with econometrics and/or machine learning a plus
- Mastery of a scientific computing language (we rely heavily on R but use some Python a well)
- Data visualization
- Comfortability writing raw SQL, experience with data modeling a plus
- Strong writing skills to explain and contextualize data analysis
- Machine learning and/or natural language processing experience is also a plus
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills as needed
- Ability to pivot quickly as needed
- Demonstrated commitment to, or passion for, our mission; deep belief and trust in the innate capabilities of low-income families and communities; willingness to engage in conversations aimed at addressing erroneous stereotypes about low-income people and people of color
Additionally, applicants should:
- Be excited and energized by a dynamic work environment.
- Be keenly interested in learning from others
- Have a functional work environment and solid internet connection
- Demonstrated leadership through learning, creating solutions, and accountability.
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision, 401(k), and vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience, between $120,000 and $140,000 annually.
We strive to create a community that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we support the efforts of others to build such communities. We encourage all qualified and interested persons to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter via this link: Apply Now. Your cover letter should outline how your personal and/or work history will contribute to the mission of UpTogether. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.