Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Director of Business Analytics, you will serve as the ‘right hand’ to our VP of Business Analytics in helping to lead the Center of Excellence and develop advanced analytics capabilities to provide deep business insights and accelerate Toptal’s data-driven decision making.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The Director will play a significant role in supporting the maturation and ongoing leadership of an exceptional and growing Analytics function for all of Toptal. Initially, you will apply your tactical analytics and leadership experience to refine and manage the onboarding and training processes for newly hired team members. Additionally, you will be counted on to institute improved operational processes for prioritization activities to ensure the highest levels of business impact.
As your knowledge of this rapidly growing business deepens, you will develop and assist others with the compilation of complex analytics insights into executive-ready presentations for our most critical business drivers. Your analytics expertise will be leveraged to challenge current thinking and to assist the VP of Business Analytics with coaching and mentoring team leads and other team members in that regard. You will assist team members with their ability to think critically in order to reveal the true root causes of issues and provide deep insights to senior company leaders. Your ability to prepare insightful executive presentations will be leveraged in order to ensure the delivery of comprehensive and logical stories that reflect findings and possible solutions in a clear and meaningful way.
This role is intended to become an expert in business process and analytics practices at Toptal and will be called upon to assume the duties of the Senior Director in their absence.
You will work in an entirely distributed company and help support the execution of a growing and enhanced discipline while learning about how an organization is built from the ground up.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month you will:
- Gain an understanding of the current state of the discipline and related strengths and weaknesses.
- Understand the company operations and activities, and how those activities generate data and reflect business performance.
- Understand processes that govern the intake and prioritization of business requests, estimating, and ensuring accurate and timely completion of work in progress.
In the first three months you will:
- Develop/refine existing training and mentoring programs for Analytics and assume ownership of its success.
- Strengthen and unify the prioritization processes for analytics requests.
- Partner with the VP of Business Analytics to create and review work designed to inform critical business decisions.
- Validate the work of the Analysts to ensure the accuracy of proper analysis and recommendations.
In the first six months you will:
- Own onboarding and initial training of new team members.
- Build strong relationships with executive team members.
- Review and validate complex analytics insights.
- Prepare executive ‘stories’ for higher-level and complex analytics insights.
- Assume responsibility for certain analytics executive meetings as delegated by the VP of Business Analytics.
In the first year you will:
- Be capable of serving as the senior leader for Analytics in the absence of the VP of Business Analytics.
- 7+ years of experience in data analysis, analytics, or business intelligence is required.
- 5+ years of experience within general consulting or an analytical operations function is required.
- 3+ years of management experience.
- Proven capability as a leader within a Business Analytics function for a fast-paced company with complex analytics needs.
- Self-starter who is able to be hands-on and can analyze, interpret and derive insights into business reports, analytic models, and data sources.
- Both a strong background in math, science, finance, engineering, or statistics and deep business insight are required; advanced degrees and/or MBA are a plus.
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, prototyping, testing hypotheses, performing root cause analyses, modeling business processes, building forecasts, creating predictive models, defining metrics, and/or measuring business performance.
- Excellent skills at effectively presenting and influencing stakeholder strategic business decisions based on complex data analytics.
- Experience coaching and growing individuals in analytics, data affluence, reporting, and storytelling.
- Ability to negotiate competing priorities in the business.
- Demonstrated data visualization and querying (SQL) expertise. Tableau experience is preferred, but similar systems with transferable skill sets (Looker, QlikView, Periscope, PowerBI, etc) are acceptable.
- Working knowledge of data management and architecture to assist our analysts in optimizing our data assets to support business operations.
- Ability to consult with Data Scientists and Machine Learning experts. Working knowledge of probability and statistics is required; experience in programming languages used in data science (R, SAS, MATLAB, Python) is a plus.
- Ability to explain complex issues simply and intuitively, and willing to challenge assumptions, communicate limitations, and flag blind spots.
- Ability to build relationships at an executive level.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.