DIRECTOR OF DATA SCIENCE
Remote Role (US Preferred)
Vinli’s team is transforming the mobility industry via our next generation data intelligence platforms. Our passion is building products and services that unlock the true value of connected cars by showing drivers, passengers and organizations the potential hidden within their vehicles' data. We were founded in 2014 and are backed by some of the biggest names in transportation (Cox Auto, Samsung, Continental) venture capital (First Round Capital, Westly Group) and energy (E.ON). We are partnered with some of the largest players in the mobility industry – including ALD Automotive. Remote work has been a successful part of our cultural DNA since long before 2020. Future members of our team should be intellectually curious, self-starters whose work history demonstrates the courage to create and the maturity required to bring products to market.
About The Role
Vinli is looking for exceptional Data Science talent to add to an already amazing team. You’ll have the chance to work with the latest big-data technologies and rich, diverse data sets in an agile, cloud-native environment. As Director of Data Science at Vinli, you’ll lead a team working in partnership with a group of amazing engineers to transform your insights into impactful products and beautiful analytics experiences for our customers.
You should have a background in a quantitative or technical field, experience working with large data sets, and experience in data-driven decision making. There will be many opportunities to forge your own path and demonstrate individual excellence here at Vinli, all while pulling together with a team who is ready to support you and eager for your help. Plus, we have a lot of fun together! Join us in creating the future of mobility.
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis, data mining, and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand how our existing and potential future customers interact with automotive data, tangential data sets, and Vinli analytics products
- Mentor and guide team members on project work and take responsibility for analytics project deliverables
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities
- Inform, influence, support, and execute our product decisions and product launches
- Support Vinli’s data science operations in four key ways:
- Product Operations:
Forecast and propose product team goals. Design and evaluate experiments (A/B Testing). Monitor key product metrics. Explore & understand root causes of changes in metrics. Build and analyze dashboards and reports. Build key data sets to empower operational and exploratory analysis. Evaluate and define metrics.
- Exploratory Analysis:
Perform research to develop an understanding of ecosystems, user behaviors, and long-term trends. Identify new levers to help move key metrics. Build models of user behaviors & segmentation for analysis or to power production systems (for example, Crash Detection).
- Product Leadership:
Influence product teams through presentation of data-based recommendations. Communicate state of business, experiment results, etc. to product teams. Spread best practices to analytics and product teams. Write case studies to help promote Vinli as a thought leader in the data science & analytics industry.
- Data Infrastructure:
Build systems which truly scale by leveraging the latest big data architectures. Automate analyses via high performance ETL pipelines in SQL and Spark.
- Product Operations:
- Master’s degree in statistics, mathematics or related analytical discipline preferred (PhD a plus)
- Proficiency in statistical models and thinking (probability, regression, segmentation)
- High Proficiency in SQL, Python, and Spark
- Proven ability to train/mentor team members in utilizing best practices for software development as well as data science implementations
- Experience with applied statistics or experimentation (i.e. A/B testing) in an industry setting
- Experience communicating the results of analyses to leadership teams to influence the strategy
- Experience in in the automotive & insurance industries and/or experience working with automotive data
- Prior experience in price optimization and consumer segmentation for enterprise products
- 2+ years experience in a fast-paced startup environment
About Our Ideal Candidate
- You thrive in challenging environments that require collaborative problem solving.
- You prefer to spend your time coding and collaborating, not in meetings.
- You feel pride & responsibility seeing the product you worked on meet the real world for the first time.
- You are capable of independently prioritizing your duties and still work well with a team.
- You can both accept and provide thoughtful, respectful constructive criticism.
Vinli offers competitive benefits such as health care* (including medical, dental, and vision) and a highly flexible PTO policy. In addition, we will work with you to support individual career development opportunities such as conferences, advanced training, and certifications. Vinli transitioned to fully remote operations in March 2020, but we have a longstanding history of operating & supporting successful remote teams to drive a productive, professional, and enjoyable remote work culture.
*Health care benefits apply to US employees only. Alternative UK/EU related benefits available, details provided upon request.
EEO Policy Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer. We strictly prohibit unlawful discrimination or harassment of any kind, including discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, veteran status, age, pregnancy status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, or any other characteristics protected by law. We also make all reasonable accommodations to meet our obligations under laws protecting the rights of the disabled.
Vinli Core Values
- Integrity – Doing what you say you will do at Vinli is our way of building trust among our team members, partners, investors and vendors. We believe that maintaining integrity requires an openness and empathy in sharing goals and challenges with others.
- Drive to Innovate – People at Vinli don’t just love to learn, they feel compelled to use their knowledge to make our Company and the world a better place. We believe in learning from our mistakes and always challenging ourselves to innovate - from the biggest product decisions to the smallest processes.
- Joyful Work Environment – Loving where you work isn’t about ping pong tables and free snacks. It’s the feeling that you wouldn’t want to be on a project with any other team. It’s the feeling that you can get creative energy just by showing up to work. It’s the feeling that your entire team respects your life away from the job and understands how work impacts it. At Vinli, we believe in building camaraderie and joy in our environment by supporting and encouraging each other every day.