Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an Engineering Manager for the Data Engineering team, you will be leading and growing a team of data engineers to scale our data warehouse and pipelines. You will work with Business Analysts on improving and adding more sources to our data lake. The team will look to you for advice on data and operational issues facing the team, you will mentor your team across stakeholder management, project management, and overall technical architecture.
Data Engineering Team is responsible for delivering a top-notch data warehousing experience for Toptal, making sure data is correct and accessible on demand. Data Engineers are working closely with Business Analysts and Data Scientists and they are responsible for building and maintaining data processing infrastructure and building new data and automation tools.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be leading a team of highly skilled professionals to create and maintain world-class data products used by our Business Analysts, Data Scientists, and engineering teams across the company.
In the first week, expect to:
- Start at the team by being introduced to Toptal and its culture, meeting colleagues, and get access to documentation and repositories.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete onboarding, understand the team’s immediate roadmap and become acquainted with your team and processes.
- Conduct regular 1:1s with your teammates, and begin to understand their strengths and aspirations.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Ship impactful initiatives that significantly changes the way in which clients interact with us
- Be working with your team and understand its mission and domain.
- Be leading your team’s efforts from planning to delivery.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Set and follow through at least one full quarter of OKRs.
- Build a deep understanding of the mission, constraints, and capabilities of your team and squad.
- Develop relationships with engineers, engineering managers, and other colleagues to maximize cross-collaboration whenever beneficial.
- Contribute improvement suggestions at an Engineering-wide and even Company-wide level.
In the first year, expect to:
- Make a big impact on the product.
- Organize at least one team gathering.
- Define yearly OKRs with and for your team.
- Have 2+ years of previous experience leading a data engineering or a product development team.
- Have 5+ years of data engineering experience.
- Have a track record of making an impact as an engineer and as an engineering manager.
- Have a solid understanding of development and quality assurance methodologies and concepts.
- Have experience guiding the continuous improvement of processes and technology.
- Thrive on providing and receiving honest but always constructive feedback.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be eager to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be first and foremost a leader, not a developer. However, you are able to code and you stay up to date with programming-related topics and work shoulder-to-shoulder with your team when required.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.