Who We Are
Babylist is the leading destination for baby commerce, where 8 million people each year buy what they need to welcome a new baby. We serve parents and the community of grandparents, friends and relatives around each baby - connecting everyone who helps plan, prepare and shop for the new arrival. From the “add anything from anywhere” registry for new parents, to the expert advice and product ideas for gift givers, there is no more trusted, go-to solution for growing families.
Our Ways of Working
We’re a remote-first company with team members located across the United States spanning multiple time zones. This means we put in extra effort to make sure we connect and collaborate in ways that make sense for us. We know how valuable the flexibility of remote work is for our employees so people can get the work done in the way that suits them best. After all, many parents call Babylist their professional home, and sometimes, you just have to jump off that Zoom meeting to clean up that banana that’s getting stomped on by your 2 year old.
We know that personal connection is the foundation for the great work we do together. In order to quickly build those relationships, we offer the opportunity to meet with coworkers in person two times a year at a full company offsite and a departmental offsite. These are great opportunities to meet the people you work with every day and to do some of the work that is much more difficult to do virtually. Most of our roles are fully remote, but these opportunities to meet in person will involve limited amounts of travel. For some leaders, there might be more opportunities to get together in person that would require about 10% travel to Oakland, CA or elsewhere.
What the Role Is
As a Lead Data Scientist at Babylist, you’ll redefine how millions of users search and discover the products they will love as they prepare for one of life’s biggest events. You will partner with other Data Scientists, Product Managers and Engineers to understand users needs and improve the experience of building registries and shopping at Babylist.
Who You Are
- You have a BS, MS or Ph.D. in computer science, engineering, mathematics, machine learning, (computational) physics or statistics.
- You have strong mathematical, statistical methods and analytical skills.
- You are fluent in Python, SQL, and with ML frameworks like TensorFlow, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, Spark ML, Torch, or RankFM.
- You have at least 5+ years of professional experience working in a product-driven environment, 3+ years of which you are in one or more of the following: recommendation systems, search, natural language processing, or similar.
- You have experience with training systems based on large scale implicit user behavior including handling feedback loops.
- You deeply care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation.
- You have a track record of mentoring and growing collaborative teams.
Your Core Competencies Might Include:
- Plans and Aligns
- Cultivates Innovation
- Manages Complexity
- Drives Results
How You Will Make an Impact
- You will be responsible for building and owning the next generation of personalization and product/content recommendation systems that will make the experience for our millions of Babylist users unique to them.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product managers, and designers to build best-in-class ML powered search, ranking, and recommender systems.
- You have process and past experience in a multitude of recommendation technologies, empowering you to understand the challenges of making discovery better continuously by hypothesis, modeling, and experimentation.
- Be a data leader within Babylist.
- Mentor and collaborate closely with other engineers and become a valued member of a diverse and autonomous team.
- Continuously improve our product by innovating on the service through the usage of A/B tests.
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We are a remote first company and we invest in the infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are an antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.