Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Do you enjoy crafting visually stunning dashboards and visualizations in Tableau? Do you thrive when you can build reports that influence crucial business decisions by getting the right information into the hands of the right people, at the right time? Our team needs Business Intelligence Report Developers who are self-starters that can prioritize their time, priorities, and multiple projects simultaneously as well as explain complex issues in a simple and intuitive way. We are not looking for an order taker! We need those who love to undertake problems, think critically and build an independent view on data so that the best possible business outcomes are achieved.
Toptal prides itself on being an organization that focuses on the data. Our BI Report Developers build, support, and maintain reports and dashboards both in a push model and in response to specific requests. This role requires expertise in all aspects of report development, including data sourcing, SQL, report design, data visualization, metric calculation, and intuitive user interface creation.
While this role sits within our Business Analytics Center of Excellence, it will support Marketing. Together with Data Analysts and Business Analysts, this role will act as an important gatekeeper to drive quality and consistency at Toptal, while building positive relationships and being responsive to functional needs.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Develop both standardized and ad-hoc reports supporting all business disciplines using SQL and Tableau.
- Visually represent data in a consumable and actionable way.
- Pull insights from and formulate use cases around reports and dashboards.
- Drive consistency across outputs by standardizing report design, metric definitions, and standard methodologies.
- Solve problems that arise in data, ETL processes, business processes, definitions, and report development.
- Establish relationships within Business Analytics and with company-wide partners.
- Instill trust and confidence in produced reports across the organization.
- Train end-users on how to view/use reports and dashboards and effectively communicate data requirements.
- Collaborate to build data dictionaries and document definitions, sources, logic, reports, and usage of all metrics and dimensions.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal while also learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow Report Developers and Business Analysts to learn the core of Toptal’s operations across the different functions like Marketing, Revenue, Talent Operations, and others.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the data generated through company operations and activities, and where/how that data is stored.
- Review and understand our existing reporting environments, major dashboards, and report development processes.
- Understand our current and future data models, key data sets, and key data relationships.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop proficiency in data elements.
- Integrate with the team and start developing visually appealing dashboards that follow Toptal’s reporting standards.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Contribute to the alignment and standardization of metric definitions across the company.
- Contribute to reviewing and building standardized reporting packages for each business function.
In the first year, expect to:
- Play a critical part in setting the team up for success.
- Contribute to improving report development and certification processes.
- Promote and educate stakeholders on the use of a centralized, certified, official reporting repository as a single source of truth for all key company reports.
- 2+ years of experience in report development, business intelligence, data analysis, or analytics.
- Remarkably proficient in all areas of report development, including Tableau, SQL, UI design and development, access management, platform management, and strong visualization skills.
- Outstanding presentation skills.
- Master at incorporating sometimes complex calculations/logic into simple report outputs.
- Track record of linking reporting, data, and analytics to business strategy and operations to drive real impact.
- Proven technical background in math, science, engineering, or statistics; Working knowledge of business processes and concepts.
- A standout colleague that builds strong relationships and establishes trust with business leaders, Engineers, and Business Analytics colleagues.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong professional skepticism, including the ability to challenge assumptions, communicate limitations, and flag blind spots.
- Work multi-functionally and independently; take ownership of quality, accuracy, and timeliness of work.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.