We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Coinbase Customer Experience (CX) organization plays an imperative role in achieving our mission. Our team is dedicated to eliminating customer challenges, empowering our global user base via self-service and automation, and optimizing customer support interactions to build an effortless experience. As a Senior Data Engineer on our team, you will help drive end-to-end data strategy for the CX organization from ingesting new data sources, to designing derived data models, to optimizing data pipelines that make data easy and efficient to access - unlocking customer insights at scale.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Develop and support the technologies that give our team timely, flexible, and structured access to data
- Build and maintain the infrastructure needed to support a wide range of data science and analytic use cases
- Work cross-functionally with upstream teams to guide and consult them on how to structure their databases to expose high quality data and with downstream data scientists and data teams to expose well-designed and well-documented data models and metrics
- Build systems that secure and govern our data end to end: control access across multiple storage and access layers, track data quality, catalog datasets and their lineage, detect duplication, audit usage and ensure correct data semantics.
- Ability to frame and break down complex business problems into key components and recommend practical solutions
- Build a collaborative team environment that fosters efficient execution, innovation, and continuous improvement
- Translating user needs to system requirements and data models
- Identify and act upon opportunities to improve the system process flow, cost, performance, and technical efficiencies
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Extensive experience in ETL processes including data pipeline management, data cleansing, data modeling
- Highly proficient using advanced SQL (analytical functions) and optimizing SQL logic for maximum efficiency
- Python or Java backend development skills
- Deep understanding of data structures and common methods in data transformation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, including experience meeting with and communicating information to senior leadership
- Highly collaborative, with an ability to optimally secure inputs from many cross-functional teams
- Ability to think strategically, formulate scalable data solutions, and execute in order to solve business needs
- Strong problem-solving skills with ability to evaluate and implement the most efficient and effective data engineering solution
Nice to haves:
- Experience using data tools and frameworks like Airflow, Spark, Flink, Hadoop, Presto, Hive, or Kafka
- Experience with financial industry regulations
- Experience with customer support data
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $175,100 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Please note that for employees based in the US, Philippines, Canada or Singapore, if your role requires you to be present in a Coinbase office or if you choose to be physically present in a Coinbase office or sponsored location, you will be required to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 (as defined by applicable law). If you receive an offer, you will receive additional information about the grounds and process for an exemption.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.