We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
At Coinbase, our vision is to build an open financial system for the world, and to get there we’ll need to continually learn from our data. Data engineers are focused on enabling teams across the company to better understand and leverage data by building an accessible and intuitive data foundation.
You’ll spend part of your time collaborating closely with Coinbase product teams, including data scientists, product managers, and full stack engineers — to enable efficient data driven product development. And you’ll spend part of your time collaborating closely with data platform engineers and other data engineers to scale our capabilities, adopt new technologies and best practices, and develop your own contributions to our tech stack. We expect you to demonstrate strong ownership, desire to learn and best-in-class craftsmanship.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Develop data pipelines, datasets, and dashboards to support Coinbase product teams
- Proactively improve table and pipeline architecture, optimize query performance, and leverage improvements in our tech stack
- Build frameworks / scripts to perform common repeatable data patterns in generic, efficient manner
- Adopt new data platform technologies as a power users and teach others to effectively leverage them
- Work closely with data science to enable exploratory analysis, predictive modeling, and data driven decision making
- Work closely with product engineering to design logging schemas to support new and changes to existing Coinbase products
- Become a subject matter expert for your data domain and help teams across the company to access and understand your data
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 7+ years relevant experience
- Knowledgeable about data architecture, data warehousing, and ETL design patterns
- Highly proficient in SQL and Python
- Experience manipulating large amounts of structured and unstructured data
- Experience with pipeline orchestration tools, preferably Airflow
- Experience designing and implementing efficient data pipelines and data warehouse models (schema design)
- Be able to independently identify and develop data solutions in service of ever changing product requirements
- Experience leading large scale projects with multiple stakeholders (product managers, data scientists, and full stack engineers)
- BA / BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Positive energy and willingness to learn and elevate others around you
Nice to haves:
- Experience with big data processing engines, preferably Spark
- Experience with cloud based data warehousing applications, preferably Snowflake and Databricks
- Experience with data visualization applications, preferably Looker, Redash, or Mode
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $175,000 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Please note that for employees based in the US, Philippines, Canada or Singapore, if your role requires you to be present in a Coinbase office or if you choose to be physically present in a Coinbase office or sponsored location, you will be required to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 (as defined by applicable law). If you receive an offer, you will receive additional information about the grounds and process for an exemption.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.