• A degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative disciplines
• Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Proven ability to communicate complex technical work to a non-technical audience
• A strong passion for and extensive experience conducting empirical research and answering hard questions with data
• Experience with relational databases and SQL
• Experience in Pandas, Python & R or other tools appropriate for large scale data preparation and analysis
• Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
• Experience with business reporting tools such as Tableau, Amplitude
• Proficiency with Unix/Linux environments
• Experience with revenue management models in travel a plus
• More than 5 years of experience as a Data scientist
• Ability to break down complex business problems down to the data drivers
• Strong ability to communicate models and insights to stakeholders
• Comfortable collaborating with engineering to identify and own data science implementations in production
• Able to design, create and measure consumer facing experiments
• Able to provide thought leadership on pricing and revenue management models
About the job
We’re looking for a motivated data scientist and data wrangler to help us capitalize on key data-centric product opportunities within the hotel fintech business.
You might be a great fit for our team if you’re a self-starter who thrives on uncertainty, and who’s passionate about exploring the intersection of real business problems with huge (and often messy) data sets, and finding effective ways to simplify and focus on practical opportunities to deliver value to our customers. To succeed at Hopper you need the talent, drive, and experience to thrive in a highly performing company.
We collect and archive pricing data for hotels from a dozen providers; rich metadata at the property, room and user level; as well as historical data on user behaviour that leads to a purchase or purchase abandonment.
Specific challenges include measuring likelihood of exercise on our fintech policies, and predicting our likely exposure / value at risk for our fintech products and the policies we sell within the travel space, as well as optimizing pricing and better understanding and impacts on retention.
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.