Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What's the Role?
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our Marketing Analytics team in Brooklyn!
The Marketing Analytics team helps drive the success of marketing efforts at Etsy by providing meaningful insights, industry-leading measurement techniques, and access to the metrics, data, and tools needed for decision-making and optimization. We partner with our peers in marketing, analytics, research, product, engineering, and finance through all stages of development: identifying initial opportunities, refining the user experience, analyzing the impact of our efforts, and highlighting improvement areas. Ultimately, the team’s work strengthens Etsy and helps continuously improve the Etsy experience.
Learning new skills and techniques is not only a requirement but a perk of the job. We are always looking for opportunities to improve. Our mission is to demystify marketing with insights grounded in data, telling the story of how we attract and retain our users to teams, to senior management, and to the community.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Manager, Analytics and the base salary range will be $130,000 - $168,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the United States who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Develop, implement, and refine core marketing measurement frameworks and models, including attribution, churn, CLV, return on investment, experiment methodology, and segmentation.
- Design and analyze rigorous experiments based on sound statistical theory, help teams set great hypotheses, and deliver robust analysis of experiment results.
- Drive forward strategy for performance marketing partners by transforming raw data into meaningful and impactful analyses characterized by strong data governance, technique clarity, and clear documentation.
- Play a foundational role in deciding how we can best engage and grow Etsy users by determining and helping prioritize opportunities for growth through analysis of behavioral and transactional data.
- Raise the skill level of the entire analytics team through the creation of exemplary work, mentorship, and the introduction of better practices, processes, and tools.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- 4+ years experience as a data scientist or data analyst in which you have extracted meaning from big data sets with little engineering support.
- You should have experience guiding and scaling marketing efforts and a deep understanding of marketing theory and practice, particularly for performance/growth marketing. This includes but is not limited to experience with measurement techniques, such as customer lifetime value, attribution models, marketing mix models, and experimental design.
- You have mastery of SQL (experience with BigQuery a plus), are proficient in R/Python and other scripting/automation techniques. You actively try new approaches to advance your technical skills. Bonus points for experience with Looker, Tableau, or other data visualization software.
- You are an expert in sophisticated analyses and have experience with advanced statistical methods (ex. Propensity Score Matching, Causal Impact, Regression Models).
- You are adept at communicating your insights, verbally, visually, and in writing to peers and leaders at all technical comprehension levels. You are able to distill complex findings into impactful recommendations.
- You are passionate about reproducible work and have picked up tools to this end; you have acted as a mentor, teaching others how to make their own work better and more efficient.
- Strong, independent, analytical problem solver who enjoys thinking about and solving complex and nuanced problems.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.