Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. Etsy, Inc.'s 'house of brands' portfolio has expanded to now include four individually distinct ecommerce brands -- Etsy, fashion resale marketplace Depop, musical instrument marketplace Reverb, and Brazil-based handmade goods marketplace Elo7. As an Etsy employee, you'll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
What’s the role?
We are looking for a senior analytics professional to help drive the success of product efforts at Etsy by providing concrete insights, industry-leading measurement techniques, and access to the metrics, data, and tools needed for decision-making and optimization].
As the Senior Data Scientist you will be responsible for:
Applying advanced analytical techniques to gauge the impact of initiatives such as expanding our shipping offerings internationally to support a marketplace that connects buyers and sellers globally
Conducting online experiments to help improve buyer fulfillment experiences, while ensuring seller satisfaction
Identify factors that contribute to providing realistic shipping time estimates to our buyers
Do you find joy in guiding strategy with data-driven insights, telling the story of how we improve the experience for our users, to teams, to senior management, and to the community.? If so, this could be the perfect match.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
The role is a part of the Product Analytics team which is responsible for helping drive the success of product efforts at Etsy.We partner with cross-functional peers through all stages of development: identifying initial opportunities, refining the user experience, analyzing the impact of our efforts, and highlighting improvement areas. Ultimately, the team’s work strengthens Etsy and helps continuously improve the Etsy experience!
This is a high visibility position supporting Etsy’s Core Fulfillment group.This is a group that helps sellers manage and fulfill their orders, while also setting buyer expectations around fulfillment so they can make well-informed purchase decisions.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Lead all analytical aspects of the product lifecycle from sizing opportunities all the way through to measuring success via experimentation.
- Work closely and collaboratively with senior management within Fulfillment to craft a well defined analytics roadmap.
- Define metrics to ensure robust measurement of product performance.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- 4+ years experience as a data scientist or data analyst in which you have independently extracted meaning from big data sets with little engineering support.
- Successful track record of guiding product teams to identify high-impact opportunities, set meaningful goals against key outcomes, and data-driven decisions. Experience working in a two sided marketplaces environment and/or in fulfillment/logistics preferred.
- Mastery of SQL and proficiency in R/Python. Passionate to try new approaches to advance your technical skills. Bonus points for experience with the Hadoop ecosystem and Looker, Tableau, or other data visualization software.
- Experience with crafting and analyzing online experiments with a good understanding of A/B testing.
- Ability to conduct sophisticated analyses and regularly use advanced statistical methods (ex. Propensity Score Matching, Causal Impact, Regression Models) in your work.
- Comfortable with distilling complex insights into compelling narratives for senior executives, both verbally and visually.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you've hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit thislink for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.