Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee – whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 – you’ll tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What’s the role?
Etsy's millions of buyers and sellers generate petabytes of data that we use for data science, experimentation, marketing, and powering seller and buyer experiences. The Data Engineering team's work helps Etsy continuously increase the quality of these experiences by providing powerful datasets and services.
The Data Engineering team is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Engineering Manager to lead our Core Data Pipelines Data Engineering team. This important mission is a key strategy in our long term vision for Data Engineering.
We seek to build scalable systems that are flexible but maintainable. Our Big Data stack includes Spark Scala, Python Dataflow, BigQuery, Kafka, Kafka Streams, and we’ve recently moved our services to Google Cloud Platform.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Director, Data Engineering. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the US who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and vaccination policy here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- This team owns the future vision for a growing library of high leverage, reliable and production resilient datasets for our customers.
- This team also owns the subject matter expertise at Etsy to push best practices and drive the spread of high quality data.
- Our team’s customers are engineers, data scientists, product managers, and our partners in finance & accounting, where we enable our customers through insights, product development, and innovation.
- Our team is dedicated to building software that reduces toil, increases access to data, and respects privacy.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- You are responsible for attracting, mentoring, supporting and retaining a team of top-notch engineers who design, build and support Etsy’s Big Data ecosystem.
- You drive the technical and strategic vision of the team, and help translate day-to-day issues into coherent and robust systems.
- You collaborate with external (sometimes non-technical) stakeholders and customers throughout the company.
- You plan and prioritize the team’s road map, and champion team projects internally.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- You have a passion for data related services, and understand good systems design.
- You are passionate about democratizing data and lowering the barrier to entry to the big data ecosystem for all internal customers.
- If you have experience building platforms or tools where the main users are internal customers (technical and non technical).
- You are comfortable translating sometimes ambiguous business problems into plans that our engineers can act on and feel passionate about.
- You care about facilitating learning and growth on the team - you put our engineers first.
- Experience building and supporting customer facing tools that make using and accessing data easy.
- Experience building and maintaining pipelines for data processing.
- Experience with cloud services.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.