Engineering at Postmates
We’re building groundbreaking tech solutions that power our revolutionary logistics platform to help connect millions of customers with their favorite merchants every day. We’re tackling some of the most complex technical challenges in the modern logistics space to unlock opportunities that positively impact the local businesses and communities we serve.
WHAT WE DO
Postmates runs one of the largest marketplaces in the country, connecting consumers, merchants, and Postmates in real-time. Building high powered intelligence atop our large-scale dataset is a serious challenge and we are looking for candidates who are ready to dig in. Postmates isn’t just another ad platform or mobile app for delivering static user generated content: We have real customers paying real money for a real service, all on-demand.
As a Senior Manager of Machine Learning, you will lead a highly innovative team to strategically leverage the vast amounts of data on one of the largest on-demand delivery marketplaces to better serve our buyers, merchants, and fleet. Your primary focus will be leading the team to develop a product and technical strategy for our machine learning models and infrastructure, build advanced machine learning techniques, spearhead statistical analysis aligned to key business goals, and architect high-quality machine learning systems to be integrated with our products. You will be a strong advocate for our buyers, merchants, and fleet, leveraging data to better understand and serve them, and leading to stronger engagement and lifetime value.
Lead, inspire and hire a team focused on the use of data and predictive algorithms to improve the customer experience and optimize revenue potential through the development of world-class AI products in real-time and in scale, including:
- Modeling and forecasting demand and supply to enable more intelligent matching, optimize the overall marketplace efficiency and provide valuable insights to our merchants and Postmates
- Large scale Machine Learning algorithms and infrastructure that powers our Search Ranking models and Personalized Recommendation Engine
- Predicting the Postmates Delivery Time (PDT) and improving the dispatching algorithm
- Determining the optimal pricing strategies to help our Postmates maximize their revenue
- Identifying suspicious transactions and malicious users for risk control
- Natural Language Processing to understand text content on Postmates platform, including named entity resolution and recognization of reviews, descriptions and interactions between users on our marketplace
Drive our strategic product and technology vision for our Machine Learning models and infrastructure. Transform customer and business needs into clear and well-defined technical solutions backed by data analysis and deep understanding of Machine Learning. Develop and own business-level metrics on which our machine learning models have a positive impact.
Design, model, and build large-scale data pipelines to train and evaluate models offline. Build infrastructure and systems for tracking feature quality, usage, and consistency. Build state-of-the-art end-to-end machine learning systems that serve the production traffic.
Develop your team by modeling integrity, servant leadership, and continuous improvement. Motivate the team to create a great high-quality engineering culture.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics or related field
- Proven experience of driving incremental value and repeatable growth through products, and services directly tied to machine learning techniques and algorithms.
- Experience and passion for working in a fast-paced agile environment and delivering functional excellence in small time durations.
- Ability to easily go from idea to working prototype in Python, Java and/or Scala. Previous experience with Hadoop, Hive, Spark, HBase, Google BigQuery, BigTable is a plus.
- Experience in building end-to-end ML systems in the following areas: recommender systems, search ranking, Ads targeting, etc. Be familiar with reinforcement learning, contextual bandits, deep learning, logistic regression, gradient-based decision trees, etc.
- 3-5 years of leadership experience in managing a highly productive data / ML engineering team.
A bit about us
Postmates is changing delivery for good. While you may know us as the clever brand loved by celebrities and millennials, we are so much more. We are industry-first leaders in the modern logistics space, creating groundbreaking tech products that positively impact millions of customers, merchants and gig-economy workers as well as the underserved in the communities where we work. How will you help us change delivery for good?
Postmates has your back. In our impact-first work environment, we value huge company vision. As you strive to build the future with us, we’ll support you with a competitive rates and equity plan, along with access to our 401k plan and robust benefits including: health benefits, flexible paid time off, parental benefits, and food perks.
Postmates is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants at Postmates are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.