As a Senior Marketing Data Analyst, you'll use data to shape Research Square Company’s revenue growth strategy. You’ll create insights that drive strategic decisions for the company by identifying investment opportunities for growth, understanding marketing, sales and product performance, and defining metrics that help us acquire and retain customers across all our websites and global markets.
Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, the Senior Marketing Data Analyst will help the sales, marketing, product and ecommerce teams make better, faster, more data-driven decisions and develop an expert knowledge of all areas of our global growth operations. We are a high-growth, mission-driven 300-person organization of PhDs and other former researchers, so we expect the Senior Marketing Data Analyst to jump in and excel in our data-driven environment.
What you'll do:
The Growth team supports how we reach, engage and retain customers, and it includes our marketing, sales, ecommerce and China-based teams. You’ll sit at the center of this team. In this role, you will enable our team to communicate the right messages to the right audience at the right time across all our go-to-market channels. These channels include institutional sales and account management teams, as well as digital channels such as email, paid search, display advertising and on-site personalization, and the 189 countries where we serve customers, including our large market in China.
The Senior Marketing Data Analyst measures the impact of each team and program, shares insights, and makes recommendations to improve performance. You will build and improve upon our data infrastructure to support these teams in the following areas:
- Marketing Analytics, including measurement of campaign effectiveness, attribution modeling, media mix modeling, and promotion analysis
- Sales Analytics, including accurately assessing and measuring the impact of our sales and account management efforts and creation of data-driven institutional value propositions
- eCommerce Analytics that better measures, understands and transforms the on-site purchasing experience including on-site engagement and conversion rate optimization.
- Customer Analytics, including audience segmentation, journey map analysis, and CRM analysis to increase retention rate and customer lifetime value.
Key Projects in your first 100 Days:
- Analyze the effectiveness of our promotional spend across marketing promotions, groups/university discounts, customer referral discounts, courtesy credits and retention discounts.
- Build data story for selling professional services (human and automated) into universities
- Solidify measurement of Growth team KPIs such as CLTV, CAC, ROAS and Brand Awareness
- Support the implementation of the Salesforce Marketing Cloud across the organization
- 5+ years of experience doing marketing and ecommerce analytics. This is not an entry level position - you’ll need experience to succeed.
- You’ll need a relevant bachelor’s degree for this role, and a relevant masters or certification program will help you stand out from the crowd.
- You should be able to write intermediate SQL queries on day one, and you should be comfortable with the idea of using a programming language for data analysis (something like Python, R, or even SAS). Python is the primary language used for data analysis inside our business, so talk to us about your experience with pandas to make your application shine!
- BI tools (Domo, Tableau, Looker, Qlikview, etc.) are all similar enough to make skills transferable, but you should know at least one BI tool inside and out. That lets us know you’ll be comfortable using our BI tool, Domo.
- Working with CRMs and marketing automation platforms should be like second nature to you
- You’ll be able to calculate and report metrics like ROAS, LTV, and incremental value, and you shouldn’t have trouble explaining those metrics to people who are unfamiliar with them.
- You’ll have worked with Salesforce in the past, ideally with the Marketing Cloud and Datorama
- Solid understanding of multivariate testing, attribution modeling, media mix modeling, lift analysis, and customer segmentation highly preferred
- You’ll be able to explain complex analyses to both technical and non-technical audiences in creative, informative way
- Our dream teammate will have all of the above, AND experience working with customer analytics in the Chinese market
Due to high volume of candidates, we encourage interested candidates to fill out the questions on this page. Blank entries below will likely be de-prioritized in our assessment queue.
About the Company:
Research Square Company exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. We are a growing team of scientists, researchers, language experts, software developers, and publishing industry veterans working together to find new ways to help researchers succeed.
Headquartered in Durham, North Carolina, Research Square Company consists of two main divisions, American Journal Experts (AJE) and Research Square. Since 2004, AJE has provided manuscript preparation services to hundreds of thousands of researchers helping them to get their work published. Launched in 2018, our platform, Research Square, is the largest multidisciplinary preprint server in the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity, invests in customers’ success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, pace of growth, and innovations. Our workplace is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment. Employees have the option of working remotely anywhere in the US or, for those local to the Raleigh-Durham area, taking advantage of our open office in downtown Durham.
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal's Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)