Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human
What’s the role?
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning to join the International Search team at Etsy.
You will be responsible for building and maintaining search models which serve the entire non-US traffic on Etsy, while applying state of the art, large scale machine learning algorithms to improve them. Our fast paced team employs the latest research in the field to directly apply it to solve problems which benefit our buyers and sellers. Do you find joy in applying practical concepts in machine learning to solve a problem in front of you? If so, this could be the perfect match.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Engineering Manager, International Search and the base salary range will be 164,000.00 - 192,000.00 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. This role requires your presence in Etsy’s Brooklyn, NY office in an in-person or flex capacity. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
Our team is responsible for showing buyers in our international markets relevant inventory based on their location and language. We’re a multi-functional group of engineers, designers, data scientists, researchers and product managers.
Here’s a taste of the problems we’re solving:
- How can we use the latest in machine learning and information retrieval to improve our international search pipelines?
- How can we use past buyer behavior or nuances in different languages to match search results that more accurately reflect a user’s intent?
- How can we improve search results when buyer and seller languages don’t match?
- How can we incorporate research and technology in a way which makes the most practical sense to the product?
What does the day-to-day look like?
- You will work in a cross-functional team to prioritize projects which help achieve our product targets.
- You will build, deploy, test and maintain scalable machine learning models by applying the latest concepts in research and industry.
- You will run various A/B experiments to improve search relevance.
- You will create and advance large scale ETL pipelines.
- You will work closely with our product manager to help build roadmaps which range between a few weeks to 6-12 months.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- You have experience developing impactful solutions to machine learning & NLP problems involving some or all of the following parts of the pipeline: data extraction, developing and training machine learning models, working the new model into production applications.
- You develop data driven solutions and build scalable solutions working closely with infrastructure teams.
- You have a penchant for learning new technologies and don’t hesitate to apply them to your work when required.
- You turn ideas into deeply reliable and well tested code that other people – or you, six months into the future – will find easy to comprehend and modify.
- You are a mindful, empathetic, and communicative member of your team.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.