Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human
What’s the role?
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer I, Machine Learning, Retrieval Sciences to help evolve Etsy’s search ML modeling to support Etsy’s matching algorithm, benefitting our users with faster and more accurate search results.
As a Senior Software Engineer I, you are product and delivery-driven, and are passionate about making ML innovations in search matching to help improve the Etsy buyer/seller experience. Does the problem of finding a needle in the haystack— the perfect handmade or vintage product among hundreds of millions that is unique for each user – using the latest ML innovations, at scale in a two-sided marketplace with 90+ million buyers, 4+ million sellers sound exciting to you? If so, this could be the perfect match.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Engineering Manager, Search Matching and the base salary range will be 164,000 - 182,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy.This role requires your presence in Etsy’s Brooklyn office in an in-person or flex capacity. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- We build and operate Etsy’s Search Matching algorithms, which serve our buyers & sellers
- We work closely with data platform teams to work with the most relevant, timely data in order to develop the strongest matching algorithm possible
- Work closely with fellow ML engineers, full-stack engineers, applied scientists, and product managers, in cross-functional teams to deliver most relevant content to tens of millions of users
- Push the state of the art in ML advances to improve buyers’ search and discovery experience on Etsy. This involves prototyping, integrating, optimizing, and productionizing large-scale ML models that help deliver key results in search experience.
- Validate the effectiveness of the models and pipelines, conducting A/B experiments at scale.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Graph Retrieval models that learn from billions of interactions between users and sellers.
- Large-scale deep models for Retrieval using Transformers.
- Real time in-session personalized Search.
- Models that learn how to optimally combine candidate results from multiple sources based on the context.
- Large scale ML pipelines & systems to optimize latency, reliability, and scalability.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- You are passionate about applying machine learning techniques in addressing real-world problems
- You have focused interest in one of the following fields: information retrieval, federated search, natural language processing, deep learning, graph learning, image processing, reinforcement learning,.
- You have some experience training, deploying, monitoring, debugging and iterating on production machine learning systems.
- You successfully take requirements from design through to delivery, working closely with a team of talented individuals.
- You have a track record of writing understandable, maintainable, and testable code.
- You care about the implications of your work on end users.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.