Whatnot (YC W20) is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re one of YC’s top companies and one of the fastest-growing marketplaces ever. We’re laser-focused on creating an exceptional software company, team, and place to work. You can read our principles here and learn what our team is up to through our engineering blog.
Our mission: enable anyone to turn their passion into a business and bring people together through commerce. We’re building the future of ecommerce; an interactive community where creators can make a living off their passion.
Did we mention we’re high growth? In January 2021, Whatnot had 10 ambitious employees. Today, the Whatnot team is 120+ employees and will exceed 300 by year end. We’re hiring forward thinking problem solvers across all functional areas. We recruit thoughtfully, can adapt quickly, and are scaling fully remotely.
📈 Opportunity Size
The ecommerce experience has been static for 20+ years and is one of the largest opportunities for disruption in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is a $170B GMV market in China and has grown 100% YoY. Retail is a $5T market opportunity!
We are looking for intellectually curious, highly motivated individuals to be foundational members of our Machine Learning and Data Platform team. You will partner across the company and use data to design scalable solutions based on a deep understanding of critical business goals. The ideal candidate will support initiatives end to end with software, data & machine learning engineering.
What you'll do:
- Partner closely across the machine learning, platform, and product engineering teams to train models to solve product problems and productionize data science and machine learning artifacts.
- Contribute scalable solutions across various serving stacks at the machine learning service and application layers.
- Build and help set direction for ML infrastructure, such as feature construction patterns, data and model monitoring, online & offline scoring systems, and model usage patterns.
- Develop high quality communication devices such as dashboards, notebooks, documents, and presentations to convey insights across a broad audience.
- Define and advance our technical approach to scalable machine learning.
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our next Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning you should have 5+ years of experience, plus:
- Proven history of knowledge in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Software Engineering or related technical field.
- Industry experience with a track record of applying practical methods to solve real-world problems on consumer scale data.
- Extensive experience with Python for data science and machine learning software development e.g. Flask, FastAPI, Docker.
- Ability to work autonomously and lead initiatives across multiple product areas and communicate findings with leadership and product teams.
- Experience with operational databases such as PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, Redis.
- Proficiency and experience in applied statistical and machine learning fields e.g. Recommendations, Search, Fraud & Anomaly Detection, Experimentation and Causal Analysis
- Firm grasp of visualization tools for monitoring and logging e.g. DataDog, Grafana
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms and managed services such as AWS Sagemaker, Lambda, Kinesis, S3, EC2, EKS/ECS, Kafka, Flink/Spark.
- Professionalism around collaborating in a remote working environment and well tested, reproducible work.
- Exceptional documentation and communication skills.
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone, internet, or co-working space
- Up to $500 monthly to spend within Whatnot App
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $20,000 for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
At Whatnot, we value diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer: we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.