Remote from WA, IL, TX, GA, MD, OR, NV, AZ. ThriftBooks Engineering team is mostly located in Seattle so if you're interested in working in an office atmosphere after Covid, that's where you'll want to be.
ThriftBooks is a the world's largest data-driven online second-hand bookstore. That’s a mouthful. Let us explain …
We buy used books that the original owners no longer need. We buy them from libraries and thrift stores and schools. We do this at scale – hundreds of millions of pounds of books per year. We comb through these cast-offs looking for books that we know our customers will love. We add the best books to our inventory. The rest we recycle. We list our inventory on thriftbooks.com where our customers find low-priced books and a fantastic customer experience.
We began in 2003 with a small storage unit in Seattle and have grown to over seven million books in seven fulfillment centers across the United States. We are growing rapidly and need your help!
ABOUT THIS POSITION
As an analytics engineer at ThriftBooks, your mission is to make working with data a delightful experience for data consumers. Everything you do aligns to that one mission. Your customers are data scientists, business analysts, and executives.
To accomplish your mission, you will use dbt to deliver well-defined, transformed, tested, documented, and code-reviewed data sets to your data consumers. You'll be applying software engineering best practices to analytics code through version control, testing, and continuous integration.
Your days will run the gamut of data-related activities:
- Build and enhance beautifully-crafted data warehouse models with dbt
- Listen to customers as they explain the problems they're trying to solve
- Troubleshoot data anomalies with engineering teams
- Build visualizations and pull data for people
- Educate and empower your customers to self-serve
- Investigate and propose the use of new, relevant technologies
- Manage a cloud-based data warehouse
- Craft data requirements for the engineering teams
You will be working with one other analytics engineer and will be working across domains. You will have a lot of latitude to accomplish your job. You will have daily access to (and support from) senior leadership. You will report to our Director of Data Science but will have tons of interactions outside of your organization.
The entire technology team is about 20 people – data scientists, engineers, and IT.
- A love for (and experience with) modeling data. dbt experience a huge plus.
- The ability to break large problems into small, testable, deployable solutions
- Proven track record of delighting data consumers
- Experience writing performant SQL on large data sets
- Some experience with BI visualizations - we use Power BI & Mode Analytics
- Near-obsession with all-things data
- Experience with Snowflake, dbt, Snowplow, DevOps, Elastic, Spark, Statistics
- Experience with data storage technologies outside of our regular stack
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT HERE
- Ownership of the analytics domain
- Competitive salary
- 3 weeks PTO to start
- Medical, dental, vision
- Flexible work schedules
- Work with nice, fun people
- FREE BOOKS!