Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee – whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 – you’ll tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What’s the role?
Etsy’s IT Engineering team is seeking a Staff Software Engineer I, Data Engineering to join us in a new data engineering focussed function. You will be building a BigQuery-backed data warehouse for employee and organizational analytics, using Etsy’s existing data processing frameworks. You will work closely with other developers, data scientists, and analysts to write efficient pipelines aggregating data from various sources. This new position will play a ground-breaking role in driving more informed and objective decisions at Etsy by modernizing the way that we collect, manage and consume organizational information.
The IT Engineering team owns several aspects of business critical infrastructure and services that enable users to be productive in the Etsy offices as well as infrastructure that is critical for the operation of etsy.com. We are the connective tissue between various systems owned by other IT teams and develop and maintain many automations and integrations between business systems. We’re looking for people who excel at working with others, challenge the status-quo, and are outstanding problem-solvers. We value clear communication, honest feedback, and empathy for the users of our services. This is an exciting time to join Etsy, as we embark on next-generation work.
This is a full-time position reporting to Engineering Manager, IT Engineering, and the base salary range will be $185,000 - $217,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. This role requires your presence in Etsy’s Brooklyn office in an in-person or flex capacity. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- This is a new function within the existing IT Engineering team and you will have the opportunity to establish and shape a data engineering competence within the Internal IT organization.
- You will initially work very closely with the HRIS and People Analytics team on an MVP for people data reporting.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Build ETL pipelines, data warehouses, data marts, and aggregate tables.
- Experience building applications and managing infrastructure using one of the major cloud providers is preferred but not required. (We use Google Cloud here at Etsy).
- You partner with Privacy, Data Platform, Data Application and HRIS teams.
- Establish and document procedures, policies and technical instructions.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- You understand that being an effective engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about writing code.
- You are a polyglot. We expect you to choose, propose and use the appropriate technology or programming language for the task at hand.
- In addition to BigQuery SQL, our toolset includes Looker, Java, Python, and Spark, as well as Airflow, Terraform, and Kubernetes, and GCP services like Dataproc and Dataflow.
- You are familiar with traditional data warehousing methodologies.
- You have developed skills in SQL and writing efficient and optimized ETL pipelines.
- Observability and metrics collection are standard considerations when crafting your implementation.
- Experience working in an agile environment, participating in sprint planning, delivering work and contributing to a retrospective.
- Ability to provide estimates or project ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.