Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Our mission is simple: catalyze positive social change by building a stronger nonprofit sector fueled by talent abundance. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
About the Role and the Department
The Analytics department powers data-driven decision making at Catchafire. As a Data Analyst, you will provide support on a wide range of projects aimed to improve Catchafire’s ability to better deliver impact to our end-user and our enterprise clients. You will report to Catchafire’s Data Scientist as part of the Analytics team.
Your work will be highly cross-functional. This is a horizontal function that touches every part of the Catchafire team: you will help integrate and centralize data from each of our functions to democratize access to this data and guide the performance of the company as a whole.
- Fast study: You can synthesize large amounts of information quickly and have a hunger to learn. You are not afraid to try new solutions and are constantly driving improvements based on new information.
- Analytical and structured thinker: You are extremely logical and adept at discovering root causes and assumptions. You can break down the most complex of problems in service of building a viable and simple solution.
- Collaborative: You work seamlessly with a wide range of teams in order to create analytics solutions in various contexts. You are able to build buy-in from your teammates and connect the dots across teams. You are adept at getting what you need from the stakeholders involved in cross-functional work.
- Action-oriented: You take initiative rather than wait to be directed. You are always a couple of steps ahead.
- Builder: You create excellent analytics solutions that solve not just the immediate problem but can be built upon and enriched.
Responsibilities of the Data Analyst
- Develop, automate and maintain data visualizations, data pipelines and other reporting processes to help various functions access and evaluate critical data, and make data-driven decisions
- Provide analysis and recommendations to structured and ad hoc requests from across the organization
- Develop, track and assess KPIs across the organization, spanning Product, Marketing, Strategic Partnerships, Operations, and Finance
- Identify opportunities for improving processes and tools, and implement solutions
- Present findings through both verbal and written formats, and influence decision making across various functions
Experience / Background
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- Progressive experience (likely 2+ years) in a role involving exploring, analyzing and communicating quantitative data
- High level of proficiency writing SQL queries (e.g. subqueries, rank)
- High level of proficiency in Excel/Google Sheets
- Experience with enterprise level data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Looker, Domo)
- Strong understanding of statistics and probability
- Excellent research and critical thinking ability
- Excellent collaboration and communication ability
- Track record of recognizing data bias, and when needed, solving for it
- A connection to or desire to learn more about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), and a willingness to invest in this work within a professional setting
The following is a list of optional, “nice to have” experiences that would aid in a candidate’s ability to ramp up quickly in this role. Applicants are not expected to have any of the following in order to apply / be considered for this role:
- BA/BS in a quantitative field (e.g. statistics, computer science, math)
- Proficiency in Python or R
- Experience with web analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics, Fullstory)
- Start up experience
- Consulting, finance, or tech experience
- Interest in social entrepreneurship
How to Apply
If our values resonate with you, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify "Data Analyst" in the subject, and include short answers (150 words or less) to the following questions in lieu of a formal cover letter:
- Why do you want to work at Catchafire?
- What makes you an ideal candidate for the Data Analyst position?
- What would you be most excited to learn in this role?
Catchafire’s office is based in NYC, though we will be working remotely as long as COVID-19 persists. We consider our employees’ safety as a top priority and we will continue to assess our return date and when we will resume work travel as the situation progresses. We also provide accommodations to help with home office set up.
This role may be remote full time, with the expectation that the employee is willing and able to travel to the NYC office periodically as deemed necessary and beneficial.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.