Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Block began with a simple yet revolutionary piece of hardware—the Square Reader. We have expanded that vision to give our merchants access to the latest secure payment technologies (contactless and chip cards) and easy-to-use Point of Sale products. Today our hardware carries over $30 billion in transactions annually. Measuring the performance of our hardware, and the journey in getting the hardware to our merchants, is essential in ensuring that our merchants’ experience with Square is as seamless as possible.
We need your help to collect data about our hardware, organize that data, and make it available to analysts across Block. As a member of the Hardware Data Engineering team, you will define, develop, and manage a variety of data infrastructure components and pipelines so that our analytics teams and collaborators have trusted data to inform decisions and insights.
- Join the small but mighty Hardware Data Engineering team that partners with hardware data consumers to understand their needs and to source the right data sets to work on
- Work in a remote environment that allows you to build scalable hardware data pipelines and tools to ingest data from internal/external sources to our cloud data stack (Snowflake / AWS)
- Develop data structures to support flexible analysis of this data, including creating data models, structuring optimized ETLs, designing validation scripts
- Develop platform infrastructure and data services/components to support data engineering automation and data quality initiatives
- Troubleshoot technical issues with platforms, data discrepancies, alerts, etc.
- Be a voice between Block’s Hardware teams and Block's data community. Help the Hardware team’s data producers embrace best-practices, represent the Hardware team’s voice in data infrastructure planning discussions
- Report into a Data Engineering Manager on the Data Lifecycle team within Foundational Engineering
- 5+ years building and supporting reporting data systems built on columnar oriented RDBMS systems (e.g. Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift, Vertica, etc.)
- Strong experience building data pipelines from heterogeneous data sources (e.g. Event streams, Flat Files, RDBMS, REST APIs, SFTP, etc.) to support real-time operational and analytical workloads
- Technical accomplishments working with SQL, ETL, and Apache Airflow; and knowledge of at least one mature programming language (Ruby (and Rails), Python, Java, Go, or similar)
- Experience with Linux/OSX command line, version control software (git), and general software development
- Experience with cloud based data tools and services (e.g. AWS Lambda/S3/Transfer, GCP Cloud Functions/GCS, Fivetran, etc.)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.