Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
We have an incredible team that is working to make financing easier, fair and more transparent for all businesses. As a Data Scientist on the Capital Team, you will use your expertise in analytics, engineering, or machine learning to empower data-driven recommendations to guide the borrower's experience after they receive a loan ("servicing"). You will work with a team of product managers, engineers, user researchers, and designers to make your insights come to life for our borrowers. You will help us take data to help understand servicing outcomes, improve strategic decisions, and lead experimentation/growth projects.
This role will be embedded within a Product team.
- Partner with multiple team members to guide data-focused recommendations across the organization by using descriptive and predictive analytics to produce material impact
- Provide comprehensive analytics support to partner teams, through development of self-serve tools (such as ETLs and Looker)
- Determine and monitor key metrics to help measure the effectiveness of our product strategy
- Own, coordinate, and solve complex problems that extend beyond the traditional boundaries of product domains, analytics, and data science
- Communicate analysis and decisions to a wide range of internal partners and executives in verbal, visual, and written media
- Apply a diverse set of techniques including statistics, quantitative reasoning to help grow the business
- 3+ years of analytics experience or equivalent
- Fluent in data tools for analysis and visualization (SQL, dashboards, Python/R)
- An ability to translate ambiguous, unstructured problems into applicable data-driven analyses
- Strong verbal and written skills to explain technical analysis to non-technical partners
- Familiarity with data warehouse design, development, and best practices
- Guide and champion projects that depend on the contributions of others in multiple disciplines
- Experience applying both data-backed heuristics and machine-learning techniques to solve practical product problems such as funnel optimization. Bonus points for experience applying these techniques to underwriting.
- Some background in lending, financial services, or risk is helpful but can be learned on the job!
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources