About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As a Data Platform Engineer, you will work closely with product, data, and machine learning engineering teams across Thumbtack, and help build the future of data collection and processing, product experimentation, and large-scale computation. As a pillar of the engineering and product organizations’ work, the Data Platform team is a team of talented and experienced engineers with a large amount of collective experience, which provides a great balance of opportunity for mentorship, but also outsized impact. You’ll work with Product Application Engineers, Machine Learning Engineers, and Data Scientists to understand current needs, and develop data platform solutions that will help us unlock User Experience and Marketplace innovation. Major project areas include:
- Rebuild end-to-end event tooling to support data governance and enhance durability with Apache Kafka,
- Evaluate, develop standardized tooling for, and evangelize real-time compute technology,
- Develop the Data Tooling SDK to simplify experience of Product & Data Engineers developing data systems,
- Collaborate with Machine Learning Infrastructure Engineers to unlock ML productivity across the company.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency.
- Design, build, and maintain engineering surfaces that support a rapidly evolving product, serving Product Engineering, Data Science, and Machine Learning.
- Support data quality initiatives across key product and business areas.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to plan and execute on engineering projects.
- Build and maintain systems to ensure consistent, seamless product experimentation support, and measurement of key company and product metrics.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 2+ years of industry experience in engineering.
- 2 or more years of experience working in building internal data platforms, or heavily using internal or third-party data platforms and tooling.
- Strong understanding of modern data processing paradigms and tooling, OLTP & OLAP database fundamentals.
- Strong proficiency in one or more programming languages frequently used in a modern data stack, such as Python, Scala, and/or SQL.
- Solid understanding of common data engineering and integration tasks (data ingestion & validation, clickstream data processing, data warehousing, et al).
- You know what it means to write high quality, maintainable, testable code, and you enjoy doing it.
- You’re curious, you’re data-driven, you love to ask questions, and you think critically about problems.
- Experience with any of: Airflow, Spark, Scala, Beam, Parquet
- Expertise in SQL for analytics/reporting/business intelligence, including basic comprehension of query execution plans, and query tuning/optimization for Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, or similar.
- Experience working with semi- or unstructured data in a data lake.
- Experience working in data engineering or a similar discipline at an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.