We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Square for Restaurants team is focused on empowering Food & Drink businesses of all kinds to start, run, and grow their business, ultimately helping them deliver exceptional hospitality to their customers. Understanding these businesses and how they operate from a holistic, data-driven perspective is crucial in providing them with the best resources to achieve this goal.
As the Data Science Lead for the Square for Restaurants team, you'll be responsible for building a team that drives analytics projects, leads experimentation, and provides insights to bring a deep understanding of our merchants to product decision-making for the team. You will report to the General Manager of Square for Restaurants and partner with product, marketing, design, and engineering leads on product and business strategies.
The Restaurants team within Square is a focused initiative charged with empowering Food & Drink businesses of all kinds to start, run, and grow their businesses through advanced workflows, specialized products, business insights, and inclusion in the greater Square ecosystem. Square’s mission is economic empowerment, and our team supports this by using data to understand and empathize with our customers, thereby enabling us to build a remarkable product experience.
The Restaurants team owns multiple products that Food & Drink businesses use, such as the Point-of-Sale, the Kitchen Display, and the overall product experience of restaurant type merchants. As Data Scientists, we operate as full-stack data partners, having the ability to play a crucial role in every part of every product that our team owns, from the inception of a new feature to the automated insights derived from machine learning models. These tasks include:
- Partnering with product stakeholders to make data-driven decisions across the organization by leveraging descriptive and predictive analytics where it will have a material impact
- Applying a diverse set of tactics including statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning, to solve problems as well as independently research and produce actionable insights
- Owning, coordinating, and solving complex, cross-functional problems
- Communicating analysis and decisions to high-level stakeholders and executives in verbal, visual, and written media
- Designing A/B tests and evaluating the results, communicating to the team the actual product impact that they make
- Leading the data strategy of Square for Restaurant sub-teams, influencing them to make well-informed architectural and design decisions that affect data at Square
- Providing comprehensive day-to-day analytics support, developing tools and resources to empower data access and self-service so your expertise can be leveraged where it is most impactful
- 2+ years of experience in people management with a track record of building high-performance teams and growing talent
- 6+ years of data science and analytics experience or equivalent
- Experience building relationships to influence product partners with data
- Experience leading cross-functional projects that depend on the contributions of others in multiple disciplines
- Familiarity with data warehouse design and best practices
- Fluency with data, analytics, and visualization technologies (we use SQL, Looker, and Python) that will allow you to support and mentor the team and their technical growth
- Experience applying both statistical and machine-learning techniques to solve practical product problems such as predicting churn, LTV, cross-selling, and clustering user archetypes
Nice to have:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in a quantitative field (mathematics, statistics, or similar STEM field)
- Experience working on business and product initiatives in the Restaurants or Retail space
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.