What you'll be doing
- Apply state-of-the-art machine learning techniques to provide a deeper understanding of users, communities, and our product
- Build predictive models on massive data sets to support high impact company projects
- Brainstorm, communicate, and partner directly with product, engineering, and business teams to improve decision-making and drive impact
- Collaborate with data and engineering teams to design scalable primitives and inform our technical infrastructure
What you should have
- Expertise in at least 2 of the following domains: linear models, neural networks, tree-based models, and unsupervised learning
- 2+ years of industry experience in developing and productionizing applied machine learning for internal use cases (i.e. low, batch models)
- Masters, PhD, or equivalent experience in a quantitative area such as Computer Science, Applied Stats, Math, Astrophysics
- Proficiency with Python
- Knowledge of SQL
- Experience working with machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Spark ML, scikit-learn, or related frameworks
- Curious, passion for learning and excited about solving open-ended challenges.
- The ability to explain complex findings and technical approaches to a variety of audiences
- Desire to work with amazing, passionate all kinds of partners who care about solving challenging problems to improve Discord for its users
- Last but not least - a collaborative attitude and natural curiosity!
- Experience visualizing and auditing model outputs to ensure models are performing as intended
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $155,000 year + equity and benefits*Note: Disclosure as needed by NYC Pay Transparency LawColorado residents only: Minimum salary of $139,500 year + equity and benefits*Note: Disclosure as needed by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!