Do you have a passion for higher education? Do you want to make a positive impact on the college admissions process? Our staff help to remove barriers and encourage students to forge their path to a better future. Common App is a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to the pursuit of access, equity, and integrity in the college admission process. Each year we support more than 1 million students, one-third of whom are first-generation, as they apply to our more than 900 diverse member colleges & universities using the Common App's free online application.
If you are an experienced Data Science professional and want to be part of a mission-driven non-profit that uses innovative technology to advance the college admission process, Common App may be a great match for you. Common App is currently searching for a Data Scientist.
The Data Scientist position is charged with helping to build the organization’s evolving data analytic and research function. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Data Operations, the individual will be engaged with all aspects of the research function, from oversight of data warehousing to the development of internal and external (member) facing business intelligence tools, to the producing analyses, and reports in support of organizational priorities and strategic initiatives.
This role requires:
- Candidates must live in the United States.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years related experience: data reporting, SQL, database architecture, ETL procedures, data analytics, data mining, data operations, and data quality. Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fluent data manipulation and coding with tools such as SQL, Python, Tableau, and R.
- Experience working with and validating imperfect data.
- Experience with descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Experience working with National Center for Education Statistics, Census, College Scorecard, and other publicly available datasets.
- Project work in designing and implementing data warehousing, reporting, and analytic systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and service orientation.
- Proven ability for communicating data and research findings to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative and diverse environment.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Master’s or doctorate degree in a quantitative discipline and at least one year of related experience.
- Experience with data visualization (Tableau, R preferred).
- Experience with AWS Athena, Redshift, Sagemaker, and S3.
- Understanding of the strategic context of Common Application’s role in the higher education industry.
- A passion for higher education is a plus.
Common App is a virtual first environment. We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive salary and an extensive benefits package including:
- Paid time off
- Vacation Leave (starting at 10 days per year)
- Sick Leave (15 days per year)
- Paid Holidays (New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, July 4th, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving Day)
- Floating Holidays (9 days to be used at employee’s discretion)
- Medical (2 plan options with Cigna including an option for 100% employee coverage)
- Health Savings Account (HSA) with annual employer contribution starting at $1,500 or Flexible Spending Account (FSA), depending on plan election
- Dental (plan with MetLife offering 100% employee coverage)
- Vision benefits (plan with Cigna offering 100% employee coverage)
- Short + Long Term Disability (100% employer paid)
- Life + AD&D (100% employer paid)
- Additional Voluntary Life + AD&D insurances available
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Added compensation
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with 5% employer contribution + additional 5% employer match
- Stipends (virtual office set up and monthly remote work support)
- Future growth opportunities within the organization
We work to maintain the best possible environment for our staff, where people can learn and grow. We strive to provide a diverse, collaborative, team-oriented, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning, and culture.
HOW DO I APPLY
To apply for this opportunity, send your resume and cover letter with salary expectations.