You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators and doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics.
If you’re excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact and joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Helix is the leading population genomics and viral surveillance company. Helix enables health systems, public health organizations and life science companies to accelerate the integration of genomic data into patient care and public health decision making.
We are continuing to scale our world-class team to support our dedication to empowering every person to improve their life through DNA.
Helix + Transparency
At Helix, we value transparency. You will find the expected compensation, interview process, what to anticipate during onboarding, and your first 90 days listed in the job description for all Helix roles.
What is special about this role?
You will lead a nascent team of data engineers to build and operate Helix’s Data Platform. Enable data accessibility across Helix’s partner ecosystem and empower services that surface key insights from large, complex healthcare datasets. This is an opportunity to apply your Data Engineering leadership pedigree toward a high-impact, life-saving mission.
As the Director of Data Platform Engineering, you will:
- Lead Helix’s Data Platform Team in developing pipelines, warehousing, data models, tooling, and infrastructure to enable applications for clinico-genomic and public health data.
- Partner with Product Management and Engineering managers to ensure consistent execution against quarterly and annual product roadmaps.
- Build a strong team culture of data quality and regulatory compliance, to protect and preserve data integrity and privacy throughout the lifecycle.
- Enable and drive adoption of data platform tooling, infrastructure, and process across Engineering and Science.
- Spearhead long-term technology vision for the Data Platform team at Helix, and define and execute plans to steer towards that vision.
- Define and manage KPIs for the Data Engineering team.
- Collaborate with peer leaders across Engineering, Product Management, Security, Privacy, and Science to advance Helix’s platforms, people, and culture.
- Support Data Engineers and Managers in career development through coaching and feedback to develop future engineering leaders.
- Mentor teammates to reinforce a culture of learning and teaching.
- Partner with Recruiting in growing a high-performing Data Engineering team.
- Apply strong domain understanding of genomics, infectious disease, and healthcare data.
- 10+ years experience in Data Engineering and 5+ years leadership experience at a senior manager or director level
- Proven track record building and running cloud data platforms at scale (e.g., on AWS, Azure, GCP), including serverless, queuing, container technologies, and infrastructure-as-code paradigms
- Proficiency in working with health and clinical data
- Experience with data blinding and tokenization technologies
- Experience building and operating workflow orchestration frameworks, including open-source tools like Airflow, dbt, or commercial enterprise tools
- Passionate about data engineering and empowering data access across the enterprise
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with high-caliber Security and Privacy functions
- Proven track record recruiting, managing, and retaining engineering talent
- Development experience in Python, Golang, TypeScript, or similar languages
- Empathetic, diligent, data-driven, high-integrity leadership style
- Bachelor/Master of Science in Computer Science
- Experience working with genomics data
- Experience managing developer productivity/tooling teams
- Familiarity with regulated software systems (e.g., HIPAA, FDA)
Expected Interview Process:
1) Recruiter Screen 2) Manager Screen/Tech Screen 3) Onsite 4) Offer
Expected Pay For This Role:
There are 3 distinct parts to your Helix offer: 1) Base Salary 2) Annual Bonus 3) Equity
- Expected Helix Base: $178,000 - $283,000
- Expected Helix Discretionary Annual Bonus: 20% of your annual salary
- Equity: We offer generous equity at Helix. If you receive a Helix offer your recruiter will book dedicated time with you to educate you on our equity model.
The salary range above is our reasonable estimate of the base compensation for this role across US locations. Actual starting pay will be based on non-discriminatory job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about your specific work location salary range during the hiring process.
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Comprehensive Health Insurance with Date of Hire eligibility
- Above average employer paid premium coverage
- 12 weeks Helix Paid Parental Leave option
- 401(k) with employer matching of up to 4% and 100% Vesting on the Date of Hire
- Comprehensive Well-Being Benefits
- 18 well-being programs covering financial, legal and wellness solutions
- Flexible PTO
- Remote options for many roles and a home office stipend
What To Expect During Your Onboarding Week:
We want to make sure your first week is spent learning the foundations. You will be invited to live orientation sessions and spend time with your hiring manager developing your individual roadmap to success. This experience will include sessions that cover your benefits, security & privacy training, an introduction to the OKR framework used at Helix and our communication tools and norms.
What To Expect During Your First 90 days:
First 30 days: you’ll spend time learning the Helix way, completing training and onboarding for your roles, and getting introduced to your team and relevant stakeholders. You’ll also gain a deeper understanding of our customers, our products, the impact we make in the lives of our communities, and how to thrive at Helix through participation in Helix U.
Day 30 - 60: you’ll spend time contributing to projects, deeply familiarizing yourself with team and company processes, and developing a deeper understanding of Helix’s products, services and capabilities.
Day 60 - 90: you’ll build your OKRs with your manager, start to take ownership of projects and initiatives on your team, and begin to demonstrate your impact on the Helix mission.
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.