You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators and doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics.
If you’re excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact and joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Helix is the leading population genomics and viral surveillance company. Helix enables health systems, public health organizations and life science companies to accelerate the integration of genomic data into patient care and public health decision making.
We are continuing to scale our world-class team to support our dedication to empowering every person to improve their life through DNA.
What is special about this role?
You will be leading a nascent team of data engineers to build and operate Helix’s Data Platform. Enable data accessibility across Helix’s partner ecosystem and empower services that surface key insights from large, complex healthcare datasets. This is an opportunity to apply your Data Engineering leadership pedigree toward a high-impact, life-saving mission.
As a Senior Data Platform Manager, you will:
- Lead a team of Data Engineers to advance Helix’s mission.
- Run Helix’s Data Platform Team, developing pipelines, data models, tooling, and infrastructure to enable applications for clinico-genomic and public health data.
- Partner with Product Management and Engineering managers to ensure consistent execution against quarterly and annual product roadmaps.
- Build a strong team culture of data quality and regulatory compliance, to protect and preserve data integrity and privacy throughout the lifecycle.
- Spearhead data engineering practices at Helix by leading the build out of tooling, infrastructure, and processes to efficiently manage and operate the Helix Data Platform at scale.
- Lead Data CI/CD processes, test frameworks and coverage, and infrastructure-as-code in a complex cloud environment.
- Drive long-term technology vision for the Data Platform team at Helix, and define and execute on plans to steer towards that vision.
- Define and manage KPIs for the Data Engineering team.
- Collaborate with peer leaders across Engineering, Product management, Security, Privacy, and Science to advance Helix’s platforms, people, and culture.
- Support individuals in their career development through coaching and feedback to develop future engineering leaders.
- Mentor teammates to reinforce a culture of learning and teaching.
- Partner with Recruiting to hire world-class engineers in building a high-performing team.
- Develop a strong domain understanding of genomics, infectious disease, and healthcare data at large.
- 5+ years leading data engineering teams
- Proven track record building and running cloud data platforms at scale (e.g., on AWS, Azure, GCP), including serverless, queuing, container technologies, and infrastructure-as-code paradigms
- Experience building and operating workflow orchestration frameworks, including open source tools like Airflow, dbt, or commercial enterprise tools
- Experience with build systems and CI/CD frameworks
- Passionate about data engineering and empowering data access across the enterprise
- Demonstrated ability working closely with high-caliber Security and Privacy functions
- Proven track record recruiting, managing, and retaining engineering talent
- Development experience in Python, Golang, TypeScript, or a similar language
- Empathetic, diligent, data-driven, high-integrity leadership style
- Bachelor/Master of Science in Computer Science
- Experience working with health / clinical / genomics data
- Experience with data blinding and tokenization technologies
- Experience managing developer productivity/tooling teams
- Familiarity with regulated software systems (e.g., HIPAA, FDA)
What’s important to us:
- Curiosity — we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility — we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility — flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Follow-through — we’re building a diverse team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
What Helix has to offer you:
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Competitive compensation, Comprehensive Health insurance package including employer sponsored HSA
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 401(k) with employer matching and 100% vested on first day
- Comprehensive Well Being benefits
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.