*Based in San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)*
NerdWallet has a mission to provide clarity for all of life’s financial decisions. We are looking for a Director of Data Science to join us in achieving that goal. You will have responsibility for growing and mentoring the Data Science & ML team, building the team roadmap, and delivering results through your team.
Where you can make an impact:
- Expand the Data Science roadmap & impact: You will own the roadmap for the Data Science & ML team, working with business leaders in Marketing, Product, Content, and Strategy to identify where DS/ML can drive impact. You will evangelize data science.
- Build healthy, productive teams: You will own the health of the Data Science & Machine Learning team, ensuring that they are challenged and growing. You set bold goals and a coherent vision for your team. You also maximize the effectiveness of your direct reports through mentorship and coaching.
- Build cross-functional partnerships: You will work with a broad set of teams at NerdWallet, including Data Engineering, Platform Engineering, and others to ensure our data capabilities are world class. You will also work closely with every level of the business to ensure DS/ML is leveraged to grow our business.
- Deliver results: Your teams consistently deliver on major commitments that move our business forward. You drive key success metrics, communicate project status to stakeholders, and work to clear blocking issues from the roadmap.
- Guide technical direction: You will engage in technical discussions with your data scientists and managers, working to understand tradeoffs and guide modeling decisions. You have been a data scientist yourself and can dive deeply into various approaches with your teams.
- Drive Data Ubiquity & Excellence: You set a culture of learning and optimization, testing various approaches and adjusting focus accordingly. You won’t stop until data science is a part of every product and experience we offer. You will set high standards and drive best practices for NerdWallet’s data science program.
- Grow your teams: You will partner with our recruiting group to identify a diverse set of world-class managers and data scientists to hire. You will take an active role in sourcing and interviewing candidates.
- Empower your teams: You are a role model of cross-functional leadership. You create a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, and innovation across your teams.
- A Passionate Evangelist : You are deeply passionate about using data science & ML to drive innovation and impact. You get excited about sharing what data science can do for our business partners and user experiences.
- A Technical Leader & Mentor: You are able to dig in with senior data scientists and guide their work. You have a deep understanding of machine learning modeling techniques, comparative strengths and uses, and the ability to recommend and guide application and implementation. You’re able to bring your deep expertise to mentoring and developing our data scientists.
- Operationally Independent: You will work closely with the Directors and executives, but you have the ability to work with minimal input and shape your team’s roadmap and direction.
- Someone who can handle ambiguity: You are able to work with products that have a defined business roadmap as well as business problems that may not have a defined strategy yet. When there is uncertainty, you can work with project partners to define the path forward.
- An Effective Communicator: You are able to communicate well in multiple modalities to audiences of various sizes. You convey information effectively in a 1:1, an all-hands presentation, or a written document to executive leadership.
- A Forward-thinker: You are able to proactively identify significant risks to your roadmap, to software operations, and to team health.
- Process improvement consciousness: You can identify shortcomings in existing team processes and work with cross-functional partners to address shortcomings or create new process mechanisms.
This is our ideal wishlist, but most people don’t check every box on every job description. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Advanced degree in CS, Mathematics, Data Science or other applicable quant field
- 5+ years building and managing word class data science teams, including managing other managers
- At least five years of professional experience as a Data Scientist
- Expertise in R, SQL, Python, big data stacks, and ML platforms
- Strong business acumen and passion for working closely with business teams
- Excellent communication & project management skills
- Strong skills in critical thinking, decision making, problem-solving, and attention to detail
- Clear passion for applying data to business challenges
- Track record of successfully delivering high-impact DS/ML projects
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.