Machine Learning Engineer Summer Internship
OpenSesame helps develop the world’s most productive and admired workforces. With the most comprehensive catalog of elearning courses from the world’s top publishers, we are here to help our customers every step of the way, from finding courses, mapping them to core competencies, syncing with the LMS to increasing utilization and improving L&D programs.
The OpenSesame Data Science team is offering a paid internship position for a qualified student for the summer of 2021. If you are a self-starter with an inquisitive mind and enjoy working on fun, useful projects, then check out this internship opportunity!
Our interns work side by side members of our team to develop models and improve our ML infrastructure. You will be an apprentice on an experienced agile team and learn first hand how machine learning systems are created here at OpenSesame. As you become part of our team, you’ll work with us to:
- Develop and execute individual & team goals (both personal and professional).
- Work on individual & team software engineering projects.
- Learn how each department interacts in our company.
- Join in each team meeting & event.
- Network with other interns and our software engineers for the best experience possible.
- As a summer intern at OpenSesame, you will be expected to take training courses, participate in scheduled intern program events such as learning opportunities, networking events, community service, and book club, as well as participate in an intern led group project.
As an intern on the Data Science team, you will have the opportunity to take ownership of prototyping a new model or improvement to our existing models and be involved in designing and improving our machine learning infrastructure.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our Data Science team has a strong culture of working in an agile, continuously improving, and automation-oriented environment. We recognize the need to always be evolving, to look objectively at where things are getting better or worse, and take action.
We design and implement new machine learning algorithms and approaches to curate, personalize, and recommend content to OpenSesame customers. We currently own recommendation, similar content, search, and course enrichment models and are always prototyping new models to add to our offering. All our models are built on a strong foundation of NLP for making sense of the courses we offer.
Our team is responsible for end-to-end machine learning systems; everything from experimentation, data exploration, and new proof of concepts to data pipelines, CI/CD, and API development. We write in Python, SQL, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, PyTorch, and Transformers. The main tools we use are Jupyter Notebooks, AWS SageMaker, AWS Lambda, Terraform, Docker, Github Actions, ElasticSearch, and Snowflake.
- A cover letter is required to be considered. Please tell us about yourself and why you want to work with us!
- Proficiency with Python and experience with Python data science libraries.
- Experience with Deep Learning and Natural Language Processing.
- Our start-up environment requires an imaginative thinker with the ability to work independently and the ability to collaborate effectively with other team members.
- Exhibit both agency and initiative to find solutions to our problems.
- Permanent legal right to work within the United States.
- Coursework in Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics.
- Recently graduated or will graduate within 1 year from an undergraduate or graduate institution.
Become the Best Version of Yourself
We want OpenSesame to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve and the world we live in.
We know that a variety of perspectives and voices strengthen our ability to deliver the spark of learning to everyone.
We hold ourselves accountable to create more diverse, equitable, and inclusive communities through continuous learning, personal growth, and working to support our customers.
We welcome you to bring your authentic self to our team and grow beyond your expectations.