Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
As a Principal Data Scientist in Data Lifecycle, you play a pivotal role in driving Block-wide analytical initiatives. By understanding business-unit specific as well as Block-wide pain points and business opportunities, you drive a holistic approach to build the remarkable data science solutions at the Block’s foundational advanced analytical layer. You empower BUs to unlock new opportunities and grow Block’s business to the next level leveraging Block-wide data and insights. You proactively collaborate with analytics leads, business, product and finance leads as well as senior leadership teams to propose and get buy-ins. You have strong leadership skills to provide innovative ideas, guidance and mentorship in Block’s data community.
- Be an expert with deep knowledge of Block-wide products and business challenges to identify and execute company-wide analytics strategy driving business growth.
- Own and lead the development of remarkable and innovative data science solutions to drive significant business value.
- Be the strategic partner with senior staff from different BUs, Foundations, Product, Engineering, Marketing, Finance & Strategy, etc to define Block growth strategy and inform investment decisions with data.
- Be the trusted mentor and advisor in Data Lifecycle and Block’s data community to advocate industry best practices, process efficiency, operational excellence and innovation.
- 10+ years of data science and analytics experience
- 5+ years of experience related to Product and Marketing Data Science & Analytics, such as A/B testing, campaign performance measurement, customer segmentation and targeting, product engagement and retention, etc.
- Experience building and driving company-wide analytics strategy
- Experience working with executive stakeholders in areas such as Product, Marketing, Business, Finance
- Excellent stakeholder management, cross-functional collaboration skills
- An advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or a related technical field
- Experience leading and managing a variety of analytical data roles such as data analysts, data scientists, and data engineers
- Experience working in fintech or the B2B space
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone C: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone D: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.