Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Toast is looking for an experienced software engineer at the principal level to lead our data governance program. You will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining a pragmatic and engineering-led data governance program that ensures the accuracy, completeness, consistency, and security of our data assets. Data governance at Toast is a part of the engineering organization (R&D) in collaboration with Data Engineering and Enterprise Applications.
At Toast, data is the secret sauce that fuels our business and enables Toast Restaurants to out-perform the industry. We’re looking for a passionate and experienced technical leader to develop a framework and processes to help us reliably, safely, and responsibly deliver innovative and useful data products.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Develop and implement a data governance framework and policies that align with the company's goals and objectives.
- Work closely with the data governance council to oversee the data governance program and ensure compliance with policies and standards.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams in R&D, Data Engineering and Enterprise Applications to identify critical data elements and define data quality rules, standards, and metrics to measure data quality.
- Implement data lineage, metadata management, and data cataloging tools to track data flow and lineage across various systems.
- Develop and implement data classification, access controls, and data security policies and procedures to protect sensitive data.
- Provide guidance and training to business and technical teams on data governance best practices, policies, and standards.
- Continuously evaluate and improve the data governance program based on industry best practices and emerging technologies.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering and data management
- Experience implementing and operating effective data governance programs at technology companies
- Strong knowledge of data governance frameworks, policies, and best practices.
- Experience with data management technologies such as metadata management, data lineage, data cataloging, and data security.
- Ability to collaborate with and influence cross-functional teams, including business stakeholders, engineering leaders and data scientists
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to present complex ideas in a clear and concise manner.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required