To help keep everyone safe, we encourage all applicants to pay close attention to protect themselves during their job search. When applying for a position online you are at risk of being targeted by malicious actors looking for personal data. Please be aware we will only reach out via email using the domain BlueOwl.xyz or HiRoad.com. Anything that does not match those domains should be ignored and considered a security risk.
BlueOwl is a separate company in the State Farm® family of companies and the solutions provider for HiRoad Insurance, an InsurTech brand that recognizes and rewards good choices. Operating independently with the backing of the #1 auto insurer in the country, we blend the best aspects of a tech startup and an industry leader. To see what we’ve helped build so far, check out HiRoad.com.
At BlueOwl, we envision a world where data driven behavior fuels better lives. We started with the reinvention of insurance and a bold mission to create a data science powered platform that actually helps people become better drivers. We aspire to be the best in the business at identifying low-risk drivers by harnessing the power of data with an innovative technology stack.
It’s a big goal, and that’s where you come in. We're growing a world class team of data science, engineering, design, product, marketing and mobile technologists because we know that the key to success isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s hiring the talented people who will help us make a quantifiable impact.
We’re looking for an accomplished and well-rounded Senior Data Engineer who is comfortable navigating streaming data pipelines, data science services, and data warehouses. Over the course of your time with Blue Owl you will have the opportunity to develop streaming data pipelines that bring together data from multiple sources to evaluate insured risk, develop APIs that package data science models, and develop our organizational data warehouse to promote data driven decision processes.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand data requirements and design optimal data models and schemas.
- Work with technologies such as SQS, Kafka and rest services to expand BlueOwl’s stream data processing pipelines.
- Develop and implement data pipelines, integrating diverse data sources into Snowflake using appropriate ETL/ELT tools and techniques.
- Implement data quality checks and data governance processes to maintain data accuracy, consistency, and compliance.’
- Participate in building a highly usable, performant and secure data warehouse.
- Document technical specifications, data flows, and system configurations for collaborative design and future reference.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field.
- 8+ years experience in software development
- 3+ years experience in data warehouse development
- Experience with Snowflake and DBT with ELT data pipelines
- Experience with scheduling tools such as Airflow and building extensive data integrations
- Deep background in data modeling techniques
- Knowledge and experience with data governance practices
- Extensive experience with SQL and databases such as Postgres
- Experience working with rest services and APIs
- Strong testing and data quality background
- Strong software testing knowledge
- Understanding of data science modeling processes and technologies such as pandas and scikit learn.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience with streaming data ingestion and processing using tools like Kafka or AWS Kinesis.
- Deep understanding of Python
- Experience with AWS
- Experience building scalable and resilient systems
- Extensive CI/CD experience
- Strong familiarity with Kubernetes and Terraform
Salary: $200,000 to $300,000*
- Important note: all offered salaries are based on many factors, including experience in a similar role and geographic location of the candidate.
Benefits: We provide a wide variety of health, wellness and other benefits.These include medical, dental, vision, life insurance and supplemental income plans for you and your dependents, a Headspace app subscription, monthly wellness allowance and a 401(k) Plan with a company match.
Work from Home Equipment: Given our virtual environment— in order to set you up for success at home, a one-time payment of $2K will be provided to cover the purchase of in-home office equipment and furniture at your discretion. Also, our teams work with MacBook Pros, which we will deliver to you fully provisioned prior to your first day.
Paid Time Off: All employees accrue four weeks of PTO in their first year of employment. New parents receive twelve weeks of fully paid parental leave which may be taken within one year after the birth and/or adoption of a child. The twelve weeks is applicable to both birthing and non-birthing parent.
Personal and Professional Development: We’re committed to investing in and helping our people grow personally and professionally. All employees receive up to $5000 each year for professional learning, continuing education and career development. All team members also receive Udemy subscriptions and access to multiple different coaching opportunities through BetterUp.
Location: We are a remote-first company for most positions so you may work from anywhere you like in the U.S, excluding U.S. territories. Occasional travel may be required for team meetings or company gatherings. Employees based in the San Francisco Bay Area or in Providence, Rhode Island may commute to one of our local offices as desired.
Hours: We maintain core meeting hours from 9AM - 3PM Pacific time for collaborating with team members across all time zones.
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf
This role is employed by BlueOwl, LLC. BlueOwl, LLC is a separate company in the State Farm family of companies and is the solutions provider for the HiRoad Assurance Company.