Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating experiences that our customers will love.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will join a growing Data Engineering team that collaborates with analysts and stakeholders across the company to catalyze business growth by providing insightful and actionable analysis, insights and data products. The Data Engineering team is hands-on with a wide variety of datasets, including user data, product behavior data, financial/payment data, upper-funnel marketing data, trust and safety data, and operational/infrastructure data.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Develop and implement scalable software and processes for ingesting, transforming, connecting, storing and delivering data sources of varying levels of complexity and scale
- Focus on production status and data quality of the data environment and data products being delivered to the business, and effectively communicate to internal user base regarding production status
- Interface closely with data infrastructure, engineering and technical operations teams to ensure reliability and scalability of the data environment and availability of data product services
- Pioneer initiatives around data quality, integrity, security and governance
- Work closely with other analytical stakeholders across the company, including analysts and data scientists to understand evolving needs as more complex data models are introduced for reporting and data science
What We'll Expect from You:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative field; or equivalent experience.
- Experience in custom ETL design, implementation and maintenance
- Track record of developing in complex data environments and intelligence platforms for business users
- Demonstrable ability to relate high-level business requirements to technical ETL and data infrastructure needs, including underlying data models and scripts
- History of proactively identifying forward-looking data-oriented software engineering strategies, utilizing appropriate technologies, and implementing at scale
- High-level understanding of statistical modeling, machine learning and data mining concepts
- Demonstrable critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability and confidence to make conclusions and recommendations from data
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders in different fields, interpreting challenges and opportunities into actionable engineering strategies
- Experience with Big Data/distributed frameworks a plus.
- Experience with orchestration and container tooling (Kubernetes, Docker, etc)
- Experience with continuous integration and automation tools and processes
- Advanced SQL and relational database knowledge (MySQL, PostgreSQL) in addition to warehousing and dimension modeling, as well as a strong grasp of ACID.
- Experience developing code in Go or Python
- Programming against APIs required
- Experience with Snowflake and/or Looker a plus
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This position may be done in NYC or Remote (but not in CO due to local CO job posting requirements)
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!