The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $136 billion by 2027!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading developer data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The Staff Data Scientist will play a critical role in driving broad impact at MongoDB through researching, prototyping and integrating predictive solutions into systems across the company. We are growing adoption of data science models across the business, and you will help us increase this velocity substantially.
As a senior technical member of the centralized Data Science team, this role will have key externally- and internally-facing leadership responsibilities, including:
- Working with many stakeholders across different verticals, navigating the translation layer between business unit requirements and cutting-edge technical solutions. You will constantly build trust by showing how data science models impact key business metrics.
- Leveraging and continuing to grow your experience in elevating a Data Science team’s capabilities through technical and business-savvy mentorship.
Note: we are looking for candidates expressly able to work during Eastern Time Zone business hours, but are open to remote candidates within North America.
- Act as a conduit between MongoDB Data Science and business stakeholders across Product, Engineering, and GTM teams
- Own end-to-end implementation of data science projects (feasibility analysis, data preparation, feature engineering and model evaluation) in collaboration with data analysts, data scientists, data engineers, software engineers, product managers, and business stakeholders
- Collaborate with MDB Research teams, working together to incubate/build prototype model solutions from research artifacts
- Communicate, coordinate, and collaborate effectively with end-users of data science products and respond to stakeholder needs
- Provide thought leadership to the broader organization on the best way of using machine learning technologies, frameworks and approaches to solve different problems.
- Collaborate closely with product managers and other engineers to understand business priorities, propose new solutions
- Share your knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, and evangelizing appropriate tech and engineering best practices
- Define and improve business & product metrics to optimize the quality and cost of AI usage
- Make the Data Science team more efficient: Research and implement new tooling/processes to help the team experiment and become increasingly productive with AI/ML technologies from across the industry
Skills & Attributes
- 6+ years of hands-on data science and machine learning model development
- Experience working alongside product and engineering teams to deliver measurable value to the customer with predictive solutions
- Familiarity and comfort working in a large scale environments with unstructured or semi-structured data using SQL and Python (MQL plus)
- Clear understanding of the risks and trade-offs involved in choosing different models
- Demonstrated understanding of the entire data science development lifecycle, including experience delivering data science artifacts to production deployment environments
- Ability to seek empirical evidence through proofs of concept, statistical validation and external research
- Ability to translate efficacy measurements of data science models and products into tangible business impact metrics
- Effective at communicating technical concepts to non-technical audiences, including business leadership
- Committed to contributing to a collaborative, enjoyable, and psychologically safe work environment
- PhD or Masters degree in a quantitative/computational discipline (computer science, applied mathematics, statistics, physics, operations research, etc.)
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.