As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, helps entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world.
The Financial Data team creates the single source of truth for all financial data in Stripe. Engineers on the Financial Data team build platforms, tools, and products to ensure that Stripe’s financial data is complete, accurate, and timely. It supports data consumers like Accounting, Treasury, Revenue, and Cost. The use cases include reconciliation, financial forecasting, financial data analytics & business intelligence, compliance reporting, and auditing & compliance. We are solving a very complex problem at scale: we need to distill ever growing complex transactions into generic data models and consolidate transactions to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting.
We’re looking for people with a background in designing and building config-driven and scalable distributed systems and data pipelines. You have experience in leading a team of engineers to navigate a large, ambiguous problem domain, setting a long-term vision, and driving the engineering roadmap to achieve it. You’re comfortable in dealing with multiple moving pieces and effectively driving cross-team and cross-functional collaboration. You’re looking forward to learning new technologies, systems, and problem domains. This role is critical not only for Stripe but for the future of internet commerce.
- Identify, scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams and key stakeholders at Stripe
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of our technology stack and product roadmap
- Thrive in a collaborative environment developing and executing against immediate and long term roadmaps and making effective tradeoffs considering business priorities, but always with the user experience in mind
- Teach and mentor ICs and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe
- Guide critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe’s system design, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building platforms or products/services at Stripe. Ensure technical decision making aligns with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives.
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for software design and scalable systems architecture by developing, sharing, and setting the quality bar for Stripe as a whole
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience with software engineering and designing large scale systems.
- You have served as the technical lead for large complex projects that span multiple teams and functions.
- You have developed / been responsible for the technical roadmap for large business areas.
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization, while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you.
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team. Even senior engineers feel they are able to learn from you. You care deeply about mentorship and growing engineers and managers.
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise. We expect engineering to work closely with a variety of teams from Sales and Support to better understand our customers’ needs; to Legal and Accounting on the impact of global policies on how we build infrastructure for money movement.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with Spark and Scala.
- Experience with big-data technologies like Presto, Flink, Kafka, Redshift.
- Experience with financial or payments technology, including large-scale reconciliation of datasets, SOX/PCI compliance.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. If you are a solid engineer and eager to work on data or financial related platforms/products, we are eager to talk to you.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people from various backgrounds with broad technical skills. Stripes take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and empowering entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues well. The kind of people who commit to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a diverse organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.