Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy and powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action and creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking an experienced Data Engineering + Infrastructure Lead who can build and maintain data systems and pipelines to support and drive primary research, data analysis and data science needs across multiple complex issues areas. The Data Engineering + Infrastructure Lead will be responsible for team coordination, proactive problem solving, and generating evidence-based insights to drive project success. This person will collaborate closely with our strategy and campaigns teams, collaborate with external partners, and contribute to business development as part of the Impact Measurement & Learning team.
The ideal candidate for the Data Engineering + Infrastructure Lead role is an agile, meticulous problem solver who understands how to design systems and processes to ensure data integrity and maximize the value of data and infrastructure investments for multiple end users and workflows. Your work demonstrates a strong grasp of research design, analytical skills, and attention to detail.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role
- This full time staff position and reports to the Global Heads of Impact Measurement and Learning. This role has an option to be fully remote, or to work out of any Purpose office.
- This full-time exempt staff position is offered at the Manager, Associate Director. or Director tier, depending on experience. Salary range is $80,000 - $120,000 per year plus benefits, commensurate with experience.
- Applications close May 30th, 2022.
- Design, build and maintain cloud engineering infrastructure and data pipelines in a fast paced environment. Must be creative and flexible in designing and deploying novel approaches to meet project and client needs.
- Drives development and refinement of research strategy, design and implementation through clear and concise analysis, results and conclusions across multiple research workstreams; and is able to position the analysis in the context of the overall project, with guidance and feedback.
- Collaborate with and guide project teams to pursue the best path towards data infrastructure and reporting goals and objectives. Builds relationships and facilitates collaboration with multiple internal and external stakeholders; maintains positive relationships even under difficult circumstances; sensitive to the impact of decisions on clients, partners, and team.
- Confidently presents and facilitates discussion of data infrastructure and capabilities to clients, partners, stakeholders, and other non-technical audiences in a clear and well-structured manner; and able to engage in related and broader project context discussion and questions.
- Collaborate with Global Heads of Function and other IML team members to build out data tools and infrastructure across Purpose.
- Proactively supports business development opportunities, including developing an approach to a client prospect's challenge, and participating in BD meetings or proposal development.
- Embodies Purpose internal values on a day-to-day basis, demonstrates professionalism in all facets of work, promotes teamwork by maintaining positive & respectful relationships while contributing to team progress.
- Ensure that our approaches to research, data analysis, and measurement & evaluation center diversity, equity, and inclusion while also meeting project needs, and furthers our commitment to social impact for good
ABOUT YOU - You would be a great fit for this role if you have:
- ~5 years of relevant work experience in data engineering, especially settings related to social impact, advocacy, or progressive causes.
- A passion for issue-based or political activism and a belief in Purpose’s work combining storytelling, evidence, and innovation to inspire people to remake the world.
- A proven ability to guide and design data infrastructure and engineering processes and systems to help achieve strategic goals, and a strong understanding of how data systems and data strategy can be organized and integrated to advance project and organizational goals.
- Fluency with engineering and data infrastructure to integrate and leverage data from digital platforms and tools.
- Cloud data engineering and API experience required (GCP preferred); programming in Python, R and/or SQL required
- Flexible and creative in designing and implementing data engineering and infrastructure capabilities in an a fast paced consulting environment
- The ability to work well under pressure, maintaining quality and attention to detail under real-world deadlines, in a fast-paced agency or start-up setting. High bar for quality, rigor and integrity.
- Demonstrated track record and/or interest in social sector/social impact organizing and advocacy.
- Bilingual fluency in a foreign language is a plus.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome the unique contributions that individuals bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.