Zapier is will be looking for several experienced Data Warehouse Engineers to join our Data Operations team in 2021. We are a diverse, globally-dispersed team of passionate folks who allow Zapier to make data-based decisions about our customers, our product, and our direction. If you're eager to work on a team where your voice is heard and even though the team is remote, our Data team is about challenges, amazing support, and comradeship. If this sounds like the kind of environment you’re looking for, read on:
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
You might be asking why we're posting a role before we need to hire? Great question! We find that hiring Data Warehouse Engineers is hard! We're looking for people who are strong data modellers and finding them isn't easy. So we want to ramp up a bit before the end of the year and hit the ground running when we're able to start recruiting formally.
What will happen if I apply? First, thanks for considering Zapier! Your application will be reviewed by our team's Recruiter and you'll get a message from us if we don't feel like you're quite right for the roles we're looking at for next year. If you are a fit, we'll let you know that we'll keep you in our pool of candidates until the role is fully open and recruiting begins. By applying now, you'll be ahead of the curve!
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing, hiring, and maintaining a diverse workforce. Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging, and Equity.
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You can communicate about technical topics without unnecessary jargon. You translate unfamiliar data modeling concepts into approachable ones to teammates with less experience working with data.
- You have experience in SQL. You’ve used written complex SQL queries that join across data from multiple systems, matching them up even when there was not a straightforward way to join the tables. You've designed tables with an eye towards ease of use and high performance. You've documented schemas and created data dictionaries.
- You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with diverse teammates from any function of the organization or with any level of data knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
- You enjoy learning about the business or product goals so you can design data models that will empower analysts to build their own reports and dashboards and spend more time exploring the data. You have put together tools for data analysts and data scientists to build their own transforms.
- You have experience with star schema: You understand star schemas and have a reference copy of The Data Warehouse Toolkit on your desk. You have a nuanced appreciation for when and where the traditional approaches work and when they don’t. You have experience in ETL development. Bonus if you have modeled financial data.
- You understand that the perfect is the enemy of the good and default to action by shipping MVP code and iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
Things You Might Do
- Develop ETL to ingest and transform data from upstream databases and APIs into a data warehouse. The tools used include AWS Redshift, NiFi, Kafka, Matillion ETL, and custom Python.
- Data modeling, including designing and expanding slowly changing dimension and fact tables.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
About Data at Zapier
Zapier relies on dozens of systems that emit data about Zapier and our potential and current users and partners. This data is useful for us to make a better product, better decisions, and understand our weaknesses and opportunities. The data team at Zapier pulls this data from DBs, APIs, and event streams, collocates it, and then processes it through all the disparate systems to bring them together in a reliable, timely, performant, and easy-to-understand way to employees and systems that need it.
Within the data team, we're made up of several subteams: Data Ops focusing on data infrastructure and storage, compute, ingest, and dimensional modeling; Data Products focusing on building statistical and ML tools and models; and Data Governance.
Curious about our stack? We use AWS Redshift (and the related AWS products AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Airflow, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Python, and NiFi.
Since 2011, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and
systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Earth (We're open to people in most locations around the world!)
Our team of 350+ is distributed across the world because it lets us work with the best people. We have team members that live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places (we’ll resume these after travel is safe for all of us!)
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to Canada, UK, and US-based employees.