We're looking for a Decision Scientist to join the Decision Science team at Zapier, with a focus on Customer Success and Support Operations.
Decision Science & Analytics is responsible for driving data insights, experimentation and quantitative research at Zapier. As a team, we work across Product, Revenue, Marketing, Finance and Support, steering our business stakeholders to take data-informed decisions and deepening business understanding of opportunities and weaknesses.
Decision Scientists are semi-embedded into different business zones, developing tight-knit thought partnerships with key stakeholders. This role will be focused on our Customer Success and Support Operations teams, partnering closely with Support leadership to define success, ideate and assess Support feature development (e.g. Zapier Community, Support chatbots) and using research, analysis and experimentation to guide the wider Support organisation to allocate resources effectively (e.g. through real-time ticket load balancing). If you are a creative Decision Scientist interested in helping to grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living, this may be the right challenge for you!
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you'll take a leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Working on Diversity and Inclusivity
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You can communicate complex technical topics clearly and approachably.
You’ve collaborated with senior stakeholders across support, sales & revenue, operations, or experimentation-heavy product, and have outstanding stakeholder management expertise. As a collaborative thought partner you're gifted at explaining your findings clearly to a non-technical audience, and you’re comfortable with operating with a high degree of autonomy to proactively shape your roadmap.
You’re experienced in defining and analysing large, complex datasets, finding actionable business solutions to loosely defined Customer Success or Support problems.
You’re technically competent with relevant analytics tools (e.g. Python or R), including at least one SQL dialect - they’re all about the same; we happen to use Redshift.
You're experienced in designing and analysing rigorous experiments of varying degrees of complexity.
You combine your strong business acumen with statistical competence (e.g. confidence intervals, regression modelling, significance testing).
You have hands-on experience with common machine learning techniques (e.g. predictive modelling, time series modelling, classification and clustering techniques).
You’re excited by helping your team and stakeholders develop KPIs and self-serve dashboards. We believe in empowering our stakeholders to build their own dashboards and own their own first-order analysis.
You’ve mastered at least one data visualization tool: we primarily use Looker.
You enjoy collaboration and knowledge sharing. You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates with any level of statistical knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
You understand that perfect is the enemy of good. You will default to action by initially shipping solutions that simply work and work simply, while iterating as needed.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll get experience on many different projects to support our stakeholders in Customer Success and Support Operations. Here are some things you might get to help our teams with:
- Analyze and present Support’s impact on user behavior, such as churn, activation, engagement and upgrades. Work with support operations leadership to design, analyse and interpret experiments to improve these metrics.
- Use a variety of statistical methods to explore and discover user and operational insights in order to proactively guide a wide range of business decisions.
- Define and execute on measurement of initiatives across the various avenues for customer support, including premier support, customer success, and our community.
- Ensure all teams have insight to data and can answer their own first-order questions. Develop data literacy programs and provide easy to use tools with clear documentation, examples and tutorials.
- Perform ETL tasks to model new dimensions and facts in our data warehouse’s dimensional model.
- Tools you’ll probably use include AWS Redshift, SQL, Google Analytics, Looker, Matillion ETL, and Python or R.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Since 2011, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
About Decision Science at Zapier
Decision Science is the primary layer between Zapier’s data and its business stakeholders, driving deeper understanding of impact, patterns and business opportunities via quantitative research, analysis and experimentation.
Our data tech stack is best summed up by AWS Redshift (and related AWS products like AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Datagrip, Airflow, Python, and R.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
Our team of 350+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2+ annual company retreats to awesome places (once we’re all able to travel again)
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. We require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-, Canadian- and UK-based employees.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.