DATA WAREHOUSE ENGINEER-REMOTE
Location: Americas or EMEA. UTC/GMT -7 to UTC/GMT+3
Our fully remote, distributed environment enables us to work with awesome people from around the world. Our team members work from 38 different countries. We generally hire based on timezones and try to keep teams together by making sure that every Zapien overlaps with their manager & teammates for at least a few hours a day.
We're looking for an experienced Data Warehouse Engineer to join the Data Insights team at Zapier. Interested in helping grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living? Then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You can communicate about technical topics without unnecessary jargon. You translate unfamiliar data modeling concepts into approachable ones to team mates and stakeholders with less experience working with data.
You have experience in SQL. You’ve used written complex SQL queries that join across data from multiple systems, matching them up even when there was not a straightforward way to join the tables. You've designed tables with an eye towards ease of use, high performance and with focus on the consumer of the data. You've documented schemas and created data dictionaries.
You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with diverse teammates from any function of the organization or with any level of data knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
You strive to learn about business and product goals so you can design data models that empower analysis and reporting. You value partnering with your Data Science colleagues to ensure your efforts align with data objectives.
You have experience with data modeling: you understand data warehouse modeling and have a nuanced appreciation for when and where traditional approaches work and when they don’t. You have experience developing ETL pipelines to support business data needs.
You understand that the perfect is the enemy of the good, and default to action by shipping MVP code and iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
Things You’ll Do
- Develop ETL/ELT pipelines to ingest and transform data from upstream databases and APIs into a data warehouse. Our stack includes AWS Redshift, Matillion ETL, Astronomer/Airflow, Kafka, NiFi and custom Python.
- Data modeling, including designing and expanding slowly changing dimension and fact tables.
- Build reports and dashboards in data visualization tools. We use Looker.
- Work with product teams and help them surface interesting data back in the product for our users and partners to see.
- Influence design of our product’s data model.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support (or other mechanisms) to ensure they have the best experience possible.
About Data Insights at Zapier
Data Insights exists to champion evidence-based decision making at Zapier through scalable, discoverable and impactful data insights. We are a collaborative team of Data Scientists and Data Warehouse Engineers influencing Zapier to deliver the best possible experience to users, customers and partners.
On the Data Science side, our responsibilities include proactive and request-driven analysis; ideation, design and analysis of experiments; quantitative research (i.e. data mining & machine learning); metrics definition, reporting and goal setting for teams; insights discovery (i.e. hosting a searchable repository); instrumentation (i.e. event design); and administering data literacy and data self-serve platforms (we use Looker) to Zapier.
On the Data Warehouse Engineering side, our responsibilities include building scalable data models and ELT / ETL pipelines, insights tooling (i.e. developing tools to accelerate or improve the quality of analysis / data structures); work with our stakeholders to design data that feeds back into Zapier products; and influencing the data architecture of product teams.
We collaborate with Data Foundations, which builds and maintains a platform of capabilities for tooling, frameworks and infrastructure.
Curious about our stack? We use AWS Redshift (and the related AWS products AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Airflow, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Python, NiFi and dbt.
The Whole Package
Our flexible, distributed environment lets us work with the best people from around the world. Zapiens live in 40+ countries, including the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more!
- Competitive salary and bonus program
- Equity for All: Stock options (or equivalent) for every Zapien
- Healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- $2,000 annual learning stipend for use on courses, conferences, and more—your choice
- Two annual all-company retreats
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Customized Zapiversary rewards on your 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 year work anniversaries
- Leading-edge equipment. We set you up with an Apple laptop and provide an additional budget for you to choose other home office accessories and software you may need.
- Time to renew. We encourage Zapiens to take at least 2 weeks off each year. Most of us take 4-5 weeks, in addition to locally recognized holidays
*While we take care of Zapiens around the world the best we can, healthcare and retirement plans are currently available specifically in the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and United States.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equity. We first ask a few questions in our application form that would typically be asked at the start of an initial interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please be sure to answer each question; the resume and CV fields are optional.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us—even if we don’t see an immediate fit with our team. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people, and do not discriminate based on race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, age, or any other status protected by local law. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Zapier is is committed to inclusion. As part of this commitment, Zapier will ensure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.