Junior Developer for Landing Zone
Data Engineering role at InnovateEDU
Job type: Full Time
Location: Brooklyn, NY based or remote
InnovateEDU is a non-profit whose mission is to eliminate the achievement gap by accelerating innovation in standards aligned, next generation learning models and tools that serve, inform, and enhance teaching and learning. InnovateEDU is committed to massively disrupting K-12 public education by focusing on the development of scalable tools and practices that leverage innovation, technology, and new human capital systems to improve education for all students and close the achievement gap.
About the Project
InnovateEDU strives to create real tooling and projects that greatly assist a district in moving toward embracing data standards and interoperability. Landing Zone, a project at InnovateEDU, provides school districts with a comprehensive data infrastructure through the implementation of an Ed-Fi ODS, data mart for analytics in Google BigQuery, and the necessary data workflows in Apache Airflow to connect previously siloed, disparate educational data systems. Landing Zone simplifies the process a district must go through to implement an Ed-Fi ODS, connecting Ed-Fi and IMS certified data sources, and consuming non standards aligned certified data once has been aligned to the standard. This project has a heavy focus on data engineering, backend work, dev ops, and using data analytics tools to verify data.
Who You Are
You are a mission-driven individual and believe in working to close the educational achievement gap through the use of data and technical solutions. You are excited about bringing order to disparate data, writing data pipelines, and don’t mind being relentless in the pursuit of data accuracy. You’ve worked with SQL and Python before and have written code that interacts with APIs.
You are an optimistic problem-solver because the landscape of data in education can be complicated, but believe that together we can create real solutions that help the entire sector move forward. You are excited to join a growing team working on an early-stage product and are looking forward to working on lots of different pieces of that product. You are open to feedback, bring your best every day, and are ready to grow in all areas of your work. You want to join a team of folks who share your vision for mission-driven work at the intersection of education and technology. Finally, you know that sharing often is key to this work and are ready to document everything that you do so that data people in schools everywhere can benefit.
Experience and Skills
The ideal candidate will have experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Strong computer science and software engineering background
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with teams
- Experience working with restful APIs
- Experience working with Python and SQL
- Experience working with Apache Airflow
- Experience in test-driven development a plus
- Experience with Pandas and Jupyter Notebooks a plus
- Experience working with data warehouses a plus
- Experience with Google BigQuery and Google Data Studio a plus
- Experience within K12 education a plus
The Junior Developer’s primary professional responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Creating, troubleshooting, and maintaining data processing pipelines in Apache Airflow (ETL work)
- Writing SQL queries against many different types of databases (Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, Postgres, Progress Open Edge) to extract data
- Running reports and exports in edTech source systems as well as Landing Zone infrastructure to perform data validation checks and communicate those back to our customers
- Maintaining Landing Zone documentation to ensure it is always up-to-date and reflective of how integrations function
- Deploying code updates across the Landing Zone customer base
- Assisting in the deployment of infrastructure on the Google Cloud Platform for new customers
- Assisting in the development of a historical/longitudinal data storage system (data warehouse)
- Responding to customer support tickets (this is a shared responsibility on our team)
- Working with internal systems such as JIRA, Asana, Slack to stay organized and ensure communication with team members
- Other duties as assigned
Applications without both a resume and cover letter will not be considered.